Standard Base vs elevated base?

kc

I have in my hands two diferent Bases made by Leupold, one is a standard Base and
another that is elevated 20 moa...Can I use the elevated Base for 100 yard shots?
or should I stay with the standard Base?

thank you.

I use a tapered base to shoot all the ranges I shoot. You just wont be in the optical center of your scope so it is a compromise.

I have in my hands two diferent Bases made by Leupold, one is a standard Base and
another that is elevated 20 moa...Can I use the elevated Base for 100 yard shots?
or should I stay with the standard Base?

thank you.

If the range of fire is 600 to 800 Max then I would stay with the standard base.

If the range will most often be over 800 yards then use the 20MOA base. (Depending on
which scope you have, the 20 MOA may not zero at 100 yards).

For most hunting rifles I like the 10 MOA bases because they will work at all distances
out to 1200 Yards.

J E CUSTOM

I started to replace all of my bases with 20 moa and have a 40 moa on my edge. is there anything wrong with that? 1 rifle i use for around my home i might be shooting 75 yards any problem.
mike

I started to replace all of my bases with 20 moa and have a 40 moa on my edge. is there anything wrong with that? 1 rifle i use for around my home i might be shooting 75 yards any problem.
mike

Nothing wrong if you are shooting 1500 + yards only.

The problem with big MOA bases is that you can't zero at normal hunting distances.

Most top end scopes have a 80 or 90 MOA total range so if you use a standard base you
will be somewhere in the middle of the turret range and if you want to shoot 1000 yards
40 MOA=approximately 400 inches at 1000 of come up.

If you place a 40 MOA base on a rifle to start with your scope will have to be at the bottom
of the turret travel and end up approximately 40" high @ 100 yards.

For most hunting rifles 0 to 10 MOA bases work best and keep the scope in a good operating range.

So if you place a 20 MOA base on a rifle with a scope that has 95 MOA built in that will give
you 65 MOA total up from a 100 yard zero for the scope(20+45) .

65 MOA at a thousand yards is 650 Inches of come up.Most rifles only need 300 to 400 inches
of elevating to hit.

What I recomend for base MOA is to look at the drop from 100 Yards to max to be shot based
on bullet performance and skill, and find a base that keeps the scope in the middle of its range
without bottoming or topping the turrets out.

I hope I have explained the need to pick the right base for best performance. this is a place
that bigger is not necessarily better.

PS; If my math is off feel free to correct me . (I have not had my coffie yet).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.