SST for 300wm

The only bullets I could get to shoot better in my old 300 mag were the 180 grain Hornady interlocks. Groups with the SST's were around 1.25" (but groups with other bullets were in the 3" range) but I think the barrel was shot out in that rifle so I traded it away for something else.

My buddy and I have shot numerous coyotes and he's thumped a couple of large muley does with the 165 grain SST's out of his 308 and everything just fell over dead right where it stood. They're not a premium bullet but we've had good luck with them in our experiences from 0-500 yards. His 308 really seems to like them out of the factory Hornady loads.

Yeah,

I realize that this isent a premium bullet, but I trying to find something that is a little cheaper to shoot, but can still punch decent groups, and is ok for those 100-300 yd hunting shots on deer and bear. Any other suggestions

Wanna get it together for a bear hunt in a couple months...

TKS

I think the SST is exactly what you're looking for, and if all you're worried about is shooting to 300 yards you should take a serious look at just the standard Hornady Interlock or BTSP Interlock. I've yet to shoot that bullet in any gun and not have it shoot well. It groups great and they are dirt cheap compared to other bullets. The shape of the SST might be a little different than that of the Interlock but both use the same jacket and have the same interlock ring, the SST just has the plastic tip to help start expansion a little faster.

In my opinion either will do exactly what you're looking for and you'll fall in love with whichever you shoot. On the plus side if you do shoot the SST Hornady supposedly designed the Interbond with the same profile as the SST so you can load the Interbond exactly the same when you want to switch to a premium controlled expansion bullet. I've also had the Interbond's shoot great, but I only tried them after I had shot some test groups with the SST's and they really did seem to shoot to the same POI and groups appeared to be clones.

Cool, I will probably pick up a box of IL and SST and try them to see what I get for groups.

If the SST shoots well, then like you said I may be able to switch to the interbond for my moose/elk hunting.

TKS for the help,

If there are any more suggestions, keep 'em commin'

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.