SPRING BEAR HUNT PHOTO

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Thought you guys might like this. There is a huge oppertunity for time with the young ones in LRH. My 5 year old daughter loves the time spent camping and hunting during our annual father / daughter only spring bear hunt. If you plan ahead and have a few things to keep them busy during the slow times it is great fun. By the way the distant clearcut ridgeline is 1064 to 1138 yards away. This is handy because noise disipline is not in the vocabulary of most 5 year olds.

SPOTTEREMAIL.JPG

Hi Shawn
have you got a bait out on that hill?
Is it legal to bait there?
Just wondering - that hill top looks pretty open and why would you expect to particularly see a bear there?
APB

Sweet spot. I notice you have an access road right below the clearing as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Did ya' get anything at this spot?

Just have to ask, What flavor 1911 are you packin' for a short range bear gun?

Guys,
There are actually alot of places to get shots like this and futher. I am in the St. Joe river area near St. Maries Id. If you could see a cloase up of the cut it is littered with grass patches it is very common to see spring bears feeding on these young grasses and looking for various grubs. It is legal to bait with a permit in Idaho. There are 2 other cuts visible from hide, 1 down below (high angle shooting out to 600+, about .72 on the cosine indicator) the other to the left ranging from 725 to 940 yards. I plan to bait all 3 cuts next year. the cut you see in the picture also has a rub line running the length of it just off on the side you see. These are the kind of LR whitetail setups we guide in the fall down in the Clearwater area. The 1911 is one I built on a ss Colt S80, it pretty much lives with me day in and out.
OK now for the story I would just rather forget. We did in fact spot a jet black bear in the cut to the left, level ,no wind that I could see or detect in any way, 863 yards feeding on a grass patch. I decided after watching it for several minutes and Shay got to see it that it was a shooter. This is the perfect kids hunt if I drop it with in 50 yards it to would be above the access road a short hike and photo secession along with a short down hill drag to the road. This is all very important when your hunting partner is 5. I dial in for 863 yards, check for wind again (I am mentaly already taking pictures of my daughter with the bear, she has not shut up since we spotted it and is way excited) I anchor in bipod front backpack rear, way solid. I launch a 300 gr SMK from a 338 EDGE (of course) and watch the trace in horror as it goes an inch or two behind the front shoulder and low but close enough to leave some hair. I have shot some 6 inches low or so for some reason. We load up and drive/hike over to follow up the shot. We find a tuff of hair and not much else. I am some what baffeled by the miss and can not figure what condition I have missed to cause the low shot. I think about the miss and the mechanics of the shot all the way home and I realize while putting the tent etc away what has happened. I walk past the sight in target I used to confirm the zero @ 100 yards before we left (I had the scope off a week or so earlier). The target quite clearly showed 3 shots about .75 MOA at 6:00. of center, being in a big hurry about something or other I did not make the correction and rezero the knob. That of course put me in the field with a rifle that was zeroed .75 MOA low or about 6-7 inches at 863 yards. Stupid mistake on my part. Lucky stupid mistakes are usually easy to correct. Now here is the best parts of taking the little ones, while discovering this and explaining this to by daughter, she looks me right in the eye as serious as can be says,"don't worry daddy I will still be your huntin partner.

I bet there are more than plenty of areas like that up the 'joe. I used to elk hunt up there and stay at the Huckleberry campground. It is right at the base of the hill we would go up. Lots of elk up there, too bad everyone was shooting them but me!

Is that the camp ground down near Calder? Your right you can find areas like that by the hundred. The only problem I have found is that there in not 100 feet of flat ground anywhere around there. Typical cross canyon wind shooting most of the time. Most roads are on the ridge tops in the national forest areas and make almost any hit a steep packout. I can live with that but it limits the areas and hides to hunt with you little ones.

Yep, it is a couple of miles past Calder.

As for the pack out, I totally agree that it more than likely would be a royal PITA. There are a few spots that packing it out would be ok, but only just a few. Up along tha power lines would be ok, especially if you had a 4 wheeler for retreival. Other than those few spots, it is pretty steep and really brushy. If they have been logging up there recently, there may be some additional opportunities there as well.

Gonehuntinagain,

You must have been up the Mud Cabin Road toward Cemetary Ridge on the east side of Big Creek? Small world the photo you see is about 2 miles off the Joe (north) and just east of Big Creek. I do most of my elk hunting in the area futher up 16 or 17 miles into the national forest. I had intended to go there but the snow to deep in the draws to get on top. Great shooting oppertunities but as soon as the hammer falls the serious and I mean serious work begins. Not a great place for kid hunting but a great place to see spring elk heards etc. It is a successful kid hunt as long as you are looking at animals. The big draw back to the higher country is that even with an atv there are areas where there would be good shooting/hunting 600-900 yards but follow up and recovery would take days and border on insane. Rugged, rugged country in the Joe.

Close. We were on the south side of the river on Huckleberry Mtn. between the top and Mica Creek.
That whole area is some pretty rugged country, and on top of that it is terribly brushy. One of my hunting partners was 5 yards from a bull moose and he couldn't see it (we saw the moose shortly thereafter). Shooting over a clearing is darn near the only way to do it.
Packing out anything could be insane, especially if you didn't pay attention to what lies between you and it!

Isn't that what makes the Joe so good? Its a place (most) hunters don't want to be, but animals do. If it weren't for those brush soaked ridges I wouldn't get any exercise throuout the year. Opening spring bear at the clearwater area was also too high with snow everywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.