Spotting Scopes????

Yes, I have used the Zen-Ray spotter. In fact, I have had it and the Vortex on tripods next to one another for comparison. The Vortex is about 1/2" longer in the body and the body color is SLIGHTLY different. I believe the eyepieces would be interchangeable, they appear to be identical, but I didn't try to switch them. Side by side you cannot tell the difference between them when looking through the scope. They both have excellent optics and great resolution. The only real difference is the price. About $600 less for the Zen-Ray.

Yes, I have used the Zen-Ray spotter. In fact, I have had it and the Vortex on tripods next to one another for comparison. The Vortex is about 1/2" longer in the body and the body color is SLIGHTLY different. I believe the eyepieces would be interchangeable, they appear to be identical, but I didn't try to switch them. Side by side you cannot tell the difference between them when looking through the scope. They both have excellent optics and great resolution. The only real difference is the price. About $600 less for the Zen-Ray.

great. I saved up the money to buy a Vortex Razor. But since Zen-Ray is almost identical to it, I could use the money to get a pair of their binoculars. Have seen tons of good reviews on the ZEN ED3 binoculars.

I ask you to not spend the $$$ on the Pentax. It's not worth it, IMO.

Kowa is a top of the line spotter, worthy of all serious considration.. The Nikon ED is another winner. The Zeiss is worth more cash than the Pentax.

What are your goals and objectives with the spotter??

Scott

I dont agree at all.! I have the Pentax 65MM with HD glass ( lots less $$ and weight than the 80 MM setup) and its great!

I do agree that Id never overlook Kowa at all...very much top of the line. Zeiss is definately worth more than the Pentax and is priced higher!!!

I dont agree at all.! I have the Pentax 65MM with HD glass ( lots less $$ and weight than the 80 MM setup) and its great!

I do agree that Id never overlook Kowa at all...very much top of the line. Zeiss is definately worth more than the Pentax and is priced higher!!!

got a couple friends that use the Pentax spotters. Their's are larger, but optical quality is excellent.

I use the 27x eyepiece, and have never had the need for anything stronger. I tend to like prime lenses on all my scopes, but have considered the 20x-60x and the prime 45x in the past. I had the chance a couple years back to buy a 66mm Kowa with three eye pieces for $450, and have kicked myself in the butt many times over for not doing it. What I liked about it was that I could put it and all the eyepieces in a large pistol SKB sealed case that I had laying around. The 82mm is about an inch and a half too long to fit.
gary

got a couple friends that use the Pentax spotters. Their's are larger, but optical quality is excellent.

I use the 27x eyepiece, and have never had the need for anything stronger. I tend to like prime lenses on all my scopes, but have considered the 20x-60x and the prime 45x in the past. I had the chance a couple years back to buy a 66mm Kowa with three eye pieces for $450, and have kicked myself in the butt many times over for not doing it. What I liked about it was that I could put it and all the eyepieces in a large pistol SKB sealed case that I had laying around. The 82mm is about an inch and a half too long to fit.
gary

Ive got the adjustable power eyepiece for mine....I use it for animal watching...etc more than as a rifle "spotting scope".

Passed up a Kowa for $450 huh?? Bend over and let me kick ya.....lol

Ive got the adjustable power eyepiece for mine....I use it for animal watching...etc more than as a rifle "spotting scope".

Passed up a Kowa for $450 huh?? Bend over and let me kick ya.....lol

not too much to worry about as I have a friend who is a bird watcher, and is thinking about upgrading to the 88mm Kowa. He's now using the 50mm and a 66mm. He told me he was going to keep the 50mm as it was easy to carry in a back pack, and was seriously thinking about the 88mm with flourite lenses to use with a camera two or three days ago.

The eye pieces on that 66mm scope were worth more than the scope itself, but I heard later that they didn't interchange with the 82mm eyepieces. Another one I've seen a couple times is sold by Celestron, and it uses standard 1.25" eyepieces which can be had most anywhere (not rated by power but by the lense itself)
gary

I have a leica apo televid 77. I find my self using the 30x wide angle eye piece more than the 20x60 zoom eye piece.None of these other spotting scopes compair to the leica at lest to my eye.To me best low light spotting scope or mid day it don't matter. It is so clear even to my friends.I do like swaro but in a spotting scope the leica much better.

I have a leica apo televid 77. I find my self using the 30x wide angle eye piece more than the 20x60 zoom eye piece.None of these other spotting scopes compair to the leica at lest to my eye.To me best low light spotting scope or mid day it don't matter. It is so clear even to my friends.I do like swaro but in a spotting scope the leica much better.

I've used the Lieca, and almost bought one once. The Swarovski is on another level. The Lieca I used was very bright, if not too bright, and seemed to be a little fatiguing to look thru for long periods in very bright light. The Nikon was better, but the Kowa with Flourite lenses is on the same level with the Swarovski (I think the Swarovski is slightly better). I saw zero mirage over blacktop at noon with the Swarovski, but saw it with the others to a certain extent. A Kowa with the standard lenses has about the same resolution as the Lieca, but is much easier on the eyes to look thru in bright sunshine. So I can see where it's probably good in very low light. The Lieca was so bright at noon that we actually wrapped black construction paper around the lense to cut the light back. If I owned one, I'd buy a camera filter for it to take some of the glare out of it.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.