Spotting Scopes, What Price Range For Acceptable Quality

ltrmc02

I've been studying on spotting scopes for the past several hours and am just burned out on reading about them and trying to decide what price range I want to fall into.

I've never had or used a spotting scope before but am interested in one mainly to see bullet holes when target shooting and to observe any nice bucks that may be out in my back field. I've got about 400 yards on my property to shoot so would like to be able to see .308 holes at that distance, under ideal conditions of course.

I've about decided that I'd like to go with a straight eye piece and I'm back and forth on a 60 or 80mm size. I don't shoot competition which I know an angled scope is preferred but leaning towards the straight to quicker find that buck in the field.

I guess my question is at what price point can I start getting into some decent optical quality in a straight 60 or 80mm scope? The best bang for the buck price range and any specific model recommendations of some that you've used and were happy with would be appreciated.

I'll give you some examples...listed lowest to highest price...you decide which best fits your budget:

Zen Ray - CameraLand NY

Pentax - Camera Land NY Look at the Demo Unit for sale...Looks like $899.99 with eye piece.

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Meopta Optics - CameraLand NY

I can't vouch for the Zen Ray or the Pentax....but they both have HD lenses and both are $300 to $400 off....sounds like a super strong deal.

I've had the Vortex and it was a really nice spotter...no complaints what so ever. I then found a deal on NIB Meopta...like the one listed last. The Meopta is as good as it gets for me.....very much near the top in terms of resolution, color rendition etc.

Good luck....I'm sure others will chime in...but this should get you started.

Wayne

I have a $1000 plus Pentax.. Go for a Zeiss!

Yep.....If you have deep pockets.....Go for the Zeiss. I found the straight Meopta 82mm HD 20-70x for $1500 on eBay. I think the Meopta compares very favorably to both the Zeiss and Swarovski. The top tier scopes command a price for a reason.....you need to decide if the extra $$$ is worth it to you.

Had the opportunity to test the zen ray 80mm i think it is and was very amazed at the optical quality! I have the zen ray ed3 binos also. I compared the Zen next to my swaro 80HD and was 90% of the quality at 1/3rd the price. If money were an object i would go that route or the vortex razor HD. If money is no object Kowa 88 prominar.

The top tier scopes command a price for a reason.....you need to decide if the extra $$$ is worth it to you.
Deciding on the money is kind of why I posted. I know those high end models will be sweet but I'm trying to find that price point of where I can get something pretty nice that I'll be satisfied with and not have to shell out the top tier money just yet. With no experience of spotting scopes and not really knowing how much I'd use one I'd like to get a good "first" scope that will serve me well for my intended use and later down the road with more experience of such a scope's importance and my needs for certain options on one I may then know better of want I'm looking at and want to upgrade to an upper end model for a more specific use. Right now just need to see some bullet holes 300 to 400 yards out and maybe haul around in the truck to gander at some game animals around the fields.

Thanks guys for some of the recommended models, I'll be reading and comparing them for their features and specs vs price. I'll swing by a Bass Pro when I get the chance but can't really get a comparison of such a powerful optic inside of a building.

ltrmc02,

You should look through several for yourself. My gunsmith purchased a 20-60X80 after looking through several. He decided on the Tasco. He said the difference in the lower priced stuff looked the same to him.

One day at the range there were some fellows who wanted to compare some rifle scopes. I chose a 25 caliber hole in a target 200 yards away. There was a Zeiss scope that topped out at 18X. A Bushnell that topped at 30X, a Swarovski at 25X, a Weaver at 24X. None of them could resolve the .25 caliber hole. One guy had a 12-36X spotting scope. All of us could see the bullet hole on 12X in the Bushnell spotting scope!

Make sure you like what you buy and don't sweat it.

Anyone had experience with any of these models?

Pentax PF-65ED II 20-60x65

Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65

Bushnell 15-45X60 Legend Ultra HD

The Bushnell is a pretty low priced scope but just comparing by reading features I put it into the mix with these other two since it has ED glass and stacked dual-focus controls but I'm sure there's a catch being half the price of the Pentax and Viper HD. I just need to get to a place where I can look though some scopes.

Anyone had experience with any of these models?

Pentax PF-65ED II 20-60x65

Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65

Bushnell 15-45X60 Legend Ultra HD

The Bushnell is a pretty low priced scope but just comparing by reading features I put it into the mix with these other two since it has ED glass and stacked dual-focus controls but I'm sure there's a catch being half the price of the Pentax and Viper HD. I just need to get to a place where I can look though some scopes.

You will be pleasantly surprised when you look though the Bushnell. They sell a lot more products than the others and can use their volume to reduce prices on very good products.

I have a Redfield Rampage straight 20-60x60, and it's very impressive for the price ( +/- $200 depending on where you get it). I shoot all of my test loads on printer paper so I can log them in a binder easily, and it have no problem seeing bullet holes in white paper with my .308 at 300 yards. I haven't shot paper past 300 yards, so I'm not sure about beyond. I haven't looked through many spotting scopes, but it steals the lower priced units throne in my opinion. If you aren't going to be glossing beyond 400 yards very often I would highly recomend it. It is pretty clear out to 1100 yards in fair weather. I'm sure here is better quality glass, but that takes mor $$$.

The Pentax is the one I meantioned
Which model Pentax do you have? The PF-65ED II that I'm looking at probably isn't the quality of your's as it's a bit less than $1000.

Have you been happy with yours? I know you kept mentioning Zeiss but right now I'm not ready to jump into that category of scope yet, I just need something I'll be satisfied with, not "amazed" with but certainly hope to not be "disappointed" with you know. Once I find out all I'll be using the scope for then I may later want something much nicer and at that time will know more about the size and options I'd desire on one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.