Spotting scope?

Yes, he wants to "mill" targets. That term refers to measuring target dimensions using a mildot or other graduated reticle. For example, that's how spotters determine miss distance so that they can give hold-offs for correcting the next shot.

The SX-1 is a good scope, but the OP wants a milling reticle.

Milling reticle would be nice but I can get by with out. I'd rather have clear optics over a reticle... I'm in a heavy engineer unit, the scope will be more for observing then engaging. And when I get home it will be added to my hunting gear. I'll raise the price to 500 range. I went to bass pro shops yesterday to get a look at the vortex but they didn't have any.

Then I agree with Sully. The Leupold SX-1 60 mm scope is the best option at $300-500 price point. Optics on par with ED glass and long eye relief. You would have to upgrade all the way to a metal scope body to get something substantially better. A metal body and good optics will push the cost to $600-900.

so its between the vortex viper 14-45x65 and the leupold sx1. they had a leupld at bass pro when i was there. im not sure what model it was, it was about the same price as the sx1 and it looked similar. i didnt bother looking through it. i wish i had now.

FYI, I just checked and HighPowerOptics has the 60 mm SX-1 scopes for $280, with free shipping. We'll throw in a Field Optics Cleaning Kit for free (normally $16). Just enter "Bruce said add a cleaning kit" in the comment section when checking out.

http://www.highpoweroptics.com/leup...ope-1545x60-straight-black-111356-p-5144.html

Where you're going, you'll need a good optics cleaning kit. Once you use our kit, you'll never clean optics any other way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.