Spotting scope?

1tonpower

I'm looking for spotting scope for around 300, I know you get what you pay for. I'm headed to the afghan mountains soon and wouldn't want a high dollar scope getting lost, stollen or broken.

I just looked on the vortex sight and that scopes msrp is 850$.. 350 sounds like a heck of a deal....forget that. I was looking at the HD model that was 850

never looked through the newcon spotter, but have a rangefinder and they are good to go. i may have to look at them as I am looking for a new spotter

I was curious enough to do a search, but couldn't find any useful information on that model. Spotting scopes are shown in their 2013 catalog, but not their current website. The reticle is an unusual feature in this price range. This model seems to be offered through vendors specializing in inventory reduction. If NewCon is closing out spotting scopes, this price could be a good deal - or not. Their 2013 catalog showed an ED model so this model is not their best glass. Body construction is key - polycarbonate or metal? I would not bet my life on anything that did not have a metal body. Worth a call to NewCon.

It's a shame, but spotting scopes are all but useless for me. The eye relief is too short. I've look through several of them with my glasses on & it's like looking through a peep sight. Taking my glasses off & the ocular doesn't have enough adjustment for focusing anything but a blurred image. I've looked thru a Redfield & couple of others, with the same result.
18mm is only .709". I have more room than that between my eye & the front of the lens on my glasses. Just can't get close enough with my glasses on.
18mm isn't enough eye relief for me. Some don't even list the eye relief. It seems, the higher the power, the shorter the eye relief. My scope is an 8-32x - 50 mm Weaver. good enough for 100 yards. Frustrating.....

I don't know. I found it on google. "Mil dot spotting scope".. It came up in midway. They have it listed for 370. Then I searched for that scope and found the review

i think with that write up you are much better off going with the vortex as long as you don't have to have the ranging abilities from the spotter.

I think Bushnell dropped that model. Either it wasn't a big seller or they had supply issues. That model has ED glass, although there is no standard for that term. Be aware that Bushnell products are hit or miss. Every model line seems to consist of a mix of old and new product designs that share few common optical design characteristics.

For the price I would consider this scope. It has a long eye relief. The review was not bad, considering the price. The risk seems low. Your best alternative is probably a Leupold Mark 4, and that will cost you at least 4X more.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.