Spotting scope vs binoculars

What you use, will depend on how you hunt. If your going to be doing a lot of moving about with just occaissional glassing, then i would stress having smaller binnocs of not over 10x, because over that requires a tripod. On the other hand if more glassing is involved, a higher power binocular is better on a tripod. There are good ones other
than the Swaros, and for considerably less dollars. Minox has a good 15x56, and I'm told Leica has recently introduced a cheaper version also in both 15 and 20x with a 56 mm objective.
Go to the 24 hr Campfire (home page), and look for the article on (big eyes).
We did the same test at our PA camp, using the 15x56 Swaros, a 15x56 Leica Geovid, and a 15x58 Minox, all on tripods side by side at the same time looking at the same things up to about 1000 yds away. 4 of us were doing the looking, and the only guy who (thought) there was a slight difference was the guy owning the Swaros. But even he said they weren't worth the big difference in cost for that type use. And, he within the last month bought a set of the new 20x Leicas on special someplace for about $500. So there you go, you really need to compare them side by side if you really want to see what they can do. I will furnish the name and number if you pm me so you can verify what i just said.

Maybe also some advice on 15x vs 18x binos

I went through this last hunting season (10X vs 15X). Anything larger than 12X will be a lot harder to stabilize and heavier without a tripod. I went with the 10X HD for its flexibility.

If budget permits, get a 10X for glassing and a compact (unless you do not mind carrying the regular size) spotting scope for those beyond your binocs range.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I would not go over 10X because of the added weight and ability to hold it steady.
Read the 24 hour campfire article. Did you get that?
READ THE ARTICLE.
Fact is you cant hold any of them steady, and you cant hold any of them very long either. Prove it to yourself, by timing how long you can hold your glasses without arm fatigue.
At the point your drop your glasses due to arm fatigue, is the same point you started using (just your eyes), and HUNTING, IS NOW OVER.
Them aint my rules, they are simply, the rules.

Read the 24 hour campfire article. Did you get that?
READ THE ARTICLE.
Fact is you cant hold any of them steady, and you cant hold any of them very long either. Prove it to yourself, by timing how long you can hold your glasses without arm fatigue.
At the point your drop your glasses due to arm fatigue, is the same point you started using (just your eyes), and HUNTING, IS NOW OVER.
Them aint my rules, they are simply, the rules.
.....I think people are missing where I said using a tripod...

I would not go over 10X because of the added weight and ability to hold it steady.

Agreed on the weight. I was worried about the ability to hold higher power glass steady, but you just get used to it. I don't notice my 12x50 razors any harder to hold steady.

That said though, I don't use them much after I got a pair of Athlon Cronus 10x42's. Lighter, smaller, and crystal clear. Had both of them in my pickup all fall and winter and I honestly prefer the Cronus.

Minox has a good 15x56, and I'm told Leica has recently introduced a cheaper version also in both 15 and 20x with a 56 mm objective.
Go to the 24 hr Campfire (home page), and look for the article on (big eyes).
We did the same test at our PA camp, using the 15x56 Swaros, a 15x56 Leica Geovid, and a 15x58 Minox, all on tripods side by side at the same time looking at the same things up to about 1000 yds away. 4 of us were doing the looking, and the only guy who (thought) there was a slight difference was the guy owning the Swaros. But even he said they weren't worth the big difference in cost for that type use. And, he within the last month bought a set of the new 20x Leicas on special someplace for about $500. So there you go, you really need to compare them side by side if you really want to see what they can do. I will furnish the name and number if you pm me so you can verify what i just said.

I did this with three guys comparing Swarovski 15X56, Minox 15X58, and Nikon 16X50. One guy couldn't tell any difference in them. One guy preferred the minox and I preferred the Swaro. I arbitrarily rated the Swaro at 100 and the Minox at 97. The Nikon was out of the running for some reason I don't remember. I own the Minox.

I did this with three guys comparing Swarovski 15X56, Minox 15X58, and Nikon 16X50. One guy couldn't tell any difference in them. One guy preferred the minox and I preferred the Swaro. I arbitrarily rated the Swaro at 100 and the Minox at 97. The Nikon was out of the running for some reason I don't remember. I own the Minox.

Well there is no question about the fact that the Swaro is an excellent optic, but that's not really the point.
How many people ever get to do something like that, and how many opinions would change if they did?
I have a set of the Minox 15x58s also, that i bought as a result of reading the 24 hour campfire article. I paid $500 for them at Cameraland due to a closeout when the new model 15x56 came out.
Pa hunters by and large use twin spotting scopes mounted in machined adjustable brackets for glassing.
I have 5 different sets of those also, with a set of 77mm Kowas being the largest. But even the smallest set, of clean but old 50 mm Bushnells, was also included in our test, and was at least arguably about as good as any of them we tested (for that purpose), which was strictly the glassing quality aspect.

I have a $500 pair of Vortex binoculars and a $3000 Swarovski spotting scope. I use the binoculars 500x more than I use the spotter. The only time I use the spotter anymore is when viewing critters that are miles away or for taking pictures. In hindsight I should have bought better binoculars and a cheaper spotter for my uses . I'm not a trophy hunter and don't honesty need the Swarovski spotter to judge trophy quality, it's a great optic but I could live without it. On the other hand, I wouldn't be cought dead without my binoculars.

Just my humble opinion. I'm not sure where you hunt or the landscape. Personally, I hunt a lot of wide open canyons and flats in Wyoming. For this I prefer the spotting scope, I find setting up to cover area is productive. I will go days and forget I have binos. Many times we are looking 400 yards plus, anything closer I find I don't use the binos. Normally you can just tell. If its something you might shoot put the scope on it.(of course if you know its a herd of antelope for example) Now if the terrain changes from that to thicker landscape the binos are a must. That being said I can use binos for either or so I would start with a good set of binos. I am a glass snob but I never used to be, I hunted many years with a 99 dollar set of redfields and never had issues. I'm not saying top quality glass is overrated but it's not going to ruin your hunt you just won't look cool. Sidenote I still have those redfields, they still work great. PM me your address and you can have them, Im going to the post office anyway and 3 dollars shipping wont break me. Then you will have decent binos and can get a spotting scope to cover what they won't. Up to you.

Lots of good advice above. a MUST to get quality binocs. Serious scanning time with a spotter will give serious, sometimes disabling headache. Clarity trumps power, you will just have to witness it to understand it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.