Spotting scope review/comparison questions

midwesthunter

So I was given a Athlon Cronus 20-60 x 86 to test out and do a review on. (https://athlonoptics.com/product/spotting-scope-cronus-20-60x86-ed/)

I am planning to take pictures through phone scope at different distances, power setting, light conditions, ect. The usual stuff.

So it made me think what other info others might be interested in when comparing what spotting scope to buy.

I have a vortex razor 16-48x65 I plan to compare against when in MT antelope hunting in a week or so. I know its not a apples to apples comparison, but its what I have.

1. I was thinking of comparing FOV at similar magnification settings to show the difference between the objective lens.
2. Clarity differences at similar magnification and light conditions, will set the camera to manual setting so there are no discrepancies there.
3. Probably also do a side by side size comparison, I switched to the smaller vortex for weight/room saving while back pack hunting.

What are some other things one might consider when looking for a new spotting scope, outside of warranty and those things?

If possible, set up some targets with different size bullet holes at extended distances and compare.

It would be nice if you could compare against a higher end scope than the razor.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.