Spot

Justinmac

I'd been researching a lightweight backpacking spotter to take and decided on the Kowa 553, after getting it I am less than thrilled, maybe I just got a bad one. While just doing some target shooting I could see my hits on target at 200 better with a vortex viper 5x25 than I could with this spotter. How is Kowa CS, wonder if I should send in to get checked out.

I love my kowa 664, never had to deal with kowa cs, as I've never had an issue with it. Hopefully if there is a defect with yours they will take care of it

Any reason you went with the 553?

I love my kowa 664, never had to deal with kowa cs, as I've never had an issue with it. Hopefully if there is a defect with yours they will take care of it

Any reason you went with the 553?

I wanted a micro light spotter to tote around in the backpack. I love my BTX but cannot pack it around. I had heard good things on the KOWA, I may be regretting not going with an ATS 65

So is the glass hazy? Does the image look distorted? Have you used it multiple days?

Any chance you have phones phoneskope pics?
Screenshot_20230116-055320_Gallery.jpg

There's a screenshot from a video through my 664 kowa. Target was at 450, I think the spotter was on 20x

I'll try to get some pics. I have not gotten a phoneskope adapter for it yet and my BTX one is too small.
It's not a mirage issue and I have used it on about 8 different days, I have been trying to use it first before grabbing either a razor 4.5-27 rifle scope or my BTX.
I cannot see bullet holes in cardboard is the issue, not enough detail in the glass or something. I put it away and grab one of the two mentioned above and have no problems.

I was hoping that even if I dialed down to 30 or 35 the quality would be good enough for this.

Hmm weird. Maybe just got a lemon. Hopefully kowa takes care of the issue.

Let us know how it plays out.