Sporter Barrel Length and Harmonics

General RE LEE

Howdy folks. My 22" barrel Tikka T3x Superlite 30-06 was really impressing me at the range on Sunday. My 178 grain ELD-X handloads were shooting sub MOA at 100 and ringing a 12" steel at 500 yards with minute of whitetail heart vital accuracy.

I got to thinking on my walk yesterday. Would a shorter barrel be less picky than a longer barrel when it comes to powder charge variations? My theory is the barrel is shorter and likely stiff which would mean less vibrations at the shot than a longer barrel correct? Maybe I'm wrong but just curious if shorter barrels are maybe less picky on ammo and handloads.

Theoretically, yes. Less mass material to harmonize. From my archery background smaller shaft, stiffer arrows, in your compound bows weight class are more forgiving than longer, standard shaft diameter arrows, as long as you don't make them too stiff.

Howdy folks. My 22" barrel Tikka T3x Superlite 30-06 was really impressing me at the range on Sunday. My 178 grain ELD-X handloads were shooting sub MOA at 100 and ringing a 12" steel at 500 yards with minute of whitetail heart vital accuracy.

I got to thinking on my walk yesterday. Would a shorter barrel be less picky than a longer barrel when it comes to powder charge variations? My theory is the barrel is shorter and likely stiff which would mean less vibrations at the shot than a longer barrel correct? Maybe I'm wrong but just curious if shorter barrels are maybe less picky on ammo and handloads.
All depends on the barrel metal material, thickness, twist rate, caliber, bullet, bullet composition, powder charge, length of barrel.
Get where I am going????
Some longer, or shorter thicker barrels have good harmonics. I know that there are Barrel devices that can help with Harmonics. I have also taken a barrel and removed 15-30 thousands off of the muzzel and it settled in.

Recent Posts