Spin Drift

baconeater20

I have read here and there on spin drift. My comfort range is getting longer and longer. Pretty comfortable at 500 yards being that is the furtherest I can shoot on my property. Got a friend who is letting me set up on his land that is perfect for about 920 yards. SO back to the spin drift. I made a little spred sheet that will calculate for you. Just plug in the info of your SG and Time of flight and it will give it to you. If you are intested in it I can email you the spread sheet. Just thought I would offer.

MKG

I'm not really sure how to calculate it. I'm pretty sure that speed and twist rate play into spin drift and I know that running the shooter app on my phone accounts for spin drift. Guess I'm not much help on this one.

I have read here and there on spin drift. My comfort range is getting longer and longer. Pretty comfortable at 500 yards being that is the furtherest I can shoot on my property. Got a friend who is letting me set up on his land that is perfect for about 920 yards. SO back to the spin drift. I made a little spred sheet that will calculate for you. Just plug in the info of your SG and Time of flight and it will give it to you. If you are intested in it I can email you the spread sheet. Just thought I would offer.

MKG
THIS:
http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ABDOC108_GyroscopicAndCoriolis.pdf

Like I said I am rather new to this but from what I have read if its a right hand twist then the spin drift would be to the right and to the left for left hand twist.

MKG

most ballistics apps will calc spin drift. and if you have your parameters set right (R or L twist) it will calc correctly. basically its like how a golf ball curves through the air. For most shooting you will see .1 mil around 500-800 and around .2 mil from 900-1100 of spin drift to the right in a right twist barrel (which most are). a good way to see this is put in 0 wind in your ballistics app and you will see at distance that you will need to add "windage" this is spin drift

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.