speaking of Rem 700 trigger recall ? ?

preventec47

I have a 7mm Rem Mag BDL from the early 70s with what I believe is supposed to
contain the "faulty" trigger that the law suits were over.

I never had a problem and am extra safe in the field with where I am pointing the gun.

My feeling was that a new safety trigger would somehow be an inferior trigger ...
you know like cars with emission controls..so I never participated in the trigger replacement
(upgrade?) program. I never did attempt to understand the mechanics of old vs new
trigger design but Remington ( if I recall correctly ) never admitted to faulty design and
agreed to the recall under govt pressure.

What is the prevailing wisdom here. Were the complaints legit and do I need to have
the trigger replaced ? Is the recall/replace program still available ?

Most of the problems occurred with people trying to adjust them too light and they would go off when closing the bolt. The safety had to be off to open the bolt so there was potential for accidental firing.

-on older (walker) ones I often replace with a timney

-there also was a recall on newer x-mark pro(XMP) non externally adjustable ones (2006-2014) due to "excess bonding agent" that needs to be cleaned off--or replace with a timney

older ones had issues with firing when dropped or firing when the safety was taken off--but they are often found to be "tampered with" or "never cleaned" --I have both and never had issues, but I replace most of mine with aftermarket so it's much easier and safer to reduce the trigger pull weight

if you want to participate in the "voluntary recall" then just go to the remington website and enter your serial number to see if you qualify--if you do, then fill out the form and request a free shipping label and box (they will send them right to your house)--then take off all accessories (including scope and mount), box up and call ups for a pick up--- they pick up from your house and ship back to remington--- they will replace your trigger with a new xmark pro externally adjustable trigger and send back right to your house

I actually started to do this with 1 of my rifles (purchased in 2014) but when I received the cheep box they sent me , it was already damaged before even putting my rifle in it to send back-- I immediately knew I was not going to box up my rifle and send it back in that *** box they sent me, so I just replaced the trigger with a timney and I've been happy ever since

Now Remington is using an adjustment sealer with a trace element so if you adjust it they can prove you altered it and are not liable.

All factory triggers should be replaced if they need to be adjusted.
If you buy an aftermarket trigger buy it adjusted like you want and avoid any problems. NOTE: just because you buy an aftermarket trigger, doesn't mean you can adjust it beyond it's limits and it will still be safe. If it says 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds, don't adjust it less than 1 1/2 pounds. If you want a lighter trigger pull, buy one that will adjust below what you want to be safe.

I know people that set there triggers at less than 1 pound for hunting.
I don't personally recommend this because it becomes risky at best. I once tried to hunt with a 7 oz trigger pull because it seemed great at the range, I was lucky and mad a good hit even though i did not intend for the rifle to go off. I placed my finger is the trigger guard and "BOOM". So i decided that there was to much risk of an accidental discharge and went back to 2 pound triggers on all of my rifles.

Light triggers do help prevent anticipation of the trigger brake, but a good trigger will do the same thing without the risk.

J E CUSTOM

Now Remington is using an adjustment sealer with a trace element so if you adjust it they can prove you altered it and are not liable.

All factory triggers should be replaced if they need to be adjusted.
If you buy an aftermarket trigger buy it adjusted like you want and avoid any problems. NOTE: just because you buy an aftermarket trigger, doesn't mean you can adjust it beyond it's limits and it will still be safe. If it says 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds, don't adjust it less than 1 1/2 pounds. If you want a lighter trigger pull, buy one that will adjust below what you want to be safe.

I know people that set there triggers at less than 1 pound for hunting.
I don't personally recommend this because it becomes risky at best. I once tried to hunt with a 7 oz trigger pull because it seemed great at the range, I was lucky and mad a good hit even though i did not intend for the rifle to go off. I placed my finger is the trigger guard and "BOOM". So i decided that there was to much risk of an accidental discharge and went back to 2 pound triggers on all of my rifles.

Light triggers do help prevent anticipation of the trigger brake, but a good trigger will do the same thing without the risk.

J E CUSTOM
agree with your trigger pull, all my hunting triggers are set to 2-2.5 lbs -- good weight for hunting imo
newer hunters I feel should be in the 3-4 pound range for best accuracy and reliability

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.