Someone Make Up My Mind!

The Trinity Kid

Hello internet,

The time has come to retire my baby. My old (1928) Winchester '94 just isn't quite her old self anymore. Last time I shot it, it was barely holding 7 MOA (this is a rifle that used to shoot 1 - 1.5 MOA on a regular basis), the wood finish is wearing off, and the stock is cracked. I'm the third owner, and the rifle is 100% original, so I don't really want to go changing things on it.
On top of that, I've got a good chance of getting a local elk tag, pronghorn tag, and bear tag this year. I think I might need a bit more than a 30-30 for some of those. :rolleyes:

My boss got the elk tag last year, and he shot his at 450 yards.
His son got the bear tag and went where I want to go, and he shot it at 350 yards.
A couple acquaintances got a party pronghorn tag, and killed one at 900 yards (he said he could have stalked closer, but wanted to used his Nightforce and $5000 custom 338 Lapua "for real.") and one at 200

For a number of years, I've wanted a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 280 Remington, but I never had the money for an old one, and they didn't start making those again until recently, so I haven't gotten one. Fortunately, Sportsman's Warehouse has some in. I was microseconds from buying one when I saw that they were in stock on the website. I calmed myself and went to work, thinking by the time I got off, I'd return to my senses and not impulse buy a $900 rifle.
I was talking to my boss when it came up that the local Sportsman's Warehouse store had just gotten some Browning BLR Takedowns in 30-06. Before they got the 280's, my plan had been to buy the Browning, but they were out of stock when I was last looking.

This is going to be my "do everything" rifle for at least 3+ years, deer through elk, out to 400-500 yards (beyond that, I don't trust myself, or either rifle to be accurate enough to be terribly effective)

So, the big question:
Bolt 280 vs Lever '06.

My thoughts:
Price is only $30 different, so that's not a factor.
The 280 is a less popular cartridge so it has a coolness factor that the '06 doesn't. On the other hand, ammo is about $5-10 more per box.
The ole' 30 shoots bigger bullets
the 7mm has better BCs (sometimes)

Or should I just say screw it all and buy a Savage 10/110 in 300WM. :D

--TK

300WM, especially with Bear and Elk in the mix. It's the best "do everything" caliber in the options you provided. Plus, access to ammo and different bullet section to match your intended target is much better.

Wow...I'd kind of intended the 300 as a joke, but it seems to be a popular choice. :D

Honestly though, I don't know how well I could justify a magnum. Around here, the game I'm shooting is hardly what you'd call "big." The biggest bear I've seen was only around 180-200lbs, while the deer my mom shot was less than 75lbs gutted. Elk are the biggest creatures, but the average in the zone I'll be in is around 400lbs.
I also mostly hunt in the woods anyway, where shots are under 100yds. I just occasionally might need a shot around 400ish. The '06 will do just as well as the 300WM for 95% of what I do, and for less money.

Though, I do see Sportsman's is having a sale on Model 70 Alaskans...:rolleyes:

--TK

Wow...I'd kind of intended the 300 as a joke, but it seems to be a popular choice. :D

Honestly though, I don't know how well I could justify a magnum. Around here, the game I'm shooting is hardly what you'd call "big." The biggest bear I've seen was only around 180-200lbs, while the deer my mom shot was less than 75lbs gutted. Elk are the biggest creatures, but the average in the zone I'll be in is around 400lbs.
I also mostly hunt in the woods anyway, where shots are under 100yds. I just occasionally might need a shot around 400ish. The '06 will do just as well as the 300WM for 95% of what I do, and for less money.

Though, I do see Sportsman's is having a sale on Model 70 Alaskans...:rolleyes:

--TK

The .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.

It boils down to personal choice and intended application(s).

Cheers!

I've hunted for years with an 06 and at the distance you would be shooting, the 06 will get the job done easily with power to spare. Also at that distance use 165 gr. bullets or heavier.
I personally like the Brownings too so if you could find an A bolt 2 in the 06 that would be a good option also. Good luck.

The 280 is a less popular cartridge so it has a coolness factor that the '06 doesn't.

The venerable .30-06's cool factor is it's versatility and survivabiltiy that remains popular after all these years; having said that, the coolness factor goes to the -06 by 61 years ... just saying. :cool:

Here are some good threads on -06s ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-190gr-ablr-30-06-a-145307/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/30-06-215-match-hybrid-loads-159160/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/ok-guys-skool-me-heavies-my-30-06-a-114988/

Well, I done it.

My local Sportsman's Warehouse is $950 richer, and waiting on the delivery of...

A Model 70 Featherweight in 280 Remington.

And here's why.

It's different. Everyone and their brother's dog has a 30-06/308 around here. I only know a couple people who have 7mm's at all, and those are 7RM and 7x57. And now me with a 280. :rolleyes:

And, The Featherweight is pretty.

As you can tell, I don't particularly have a well thought out reason. It's just how I was feeling when I walked in. :D

--TK

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.