Some bucks from 2006 hunting season

screech

I think i figured out how to run the camera. Next time I will get some pics of the hole animal instead of just the horns.

Story number 1.

We had just moved to riggins Idaho and had been seeing a large 4point along with 4 or 5 littler 5 points running around all summer while building our house. I had my eye on the large four point which was around a 135-140 class 4 point. lots of height and decnt mass. As it turns out he is still alive this year i asume because nobody that I know got him and they would be the only ones able to since he was in the middle of private property. Oh well, maybe my little brother will get him next year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I sadly wasn't here for this years buck but I got the story. Dad came home and pulled into the parking lot and looked up on the hill side and saw three deer. We hadn't seen any of the white tails for over a month so dad assumed that they were just some of the local mule deer. Dad through a scope up just in case and walla, the big four point and two of the 5 points. Dad rushed in the house and called Ethan to the front door where dad was holding his 300wsm loaded with 180bt. Dad walked ethan out into the front yard and let ethan get a rest. Ethan told my dad that he was cold and shaking to much. Dad told ethan to go grab a jacket. Ethan returns with the jacket and settles down into his short mag off a pile of lumber in the yard. Ethan puts crosshaires on deer and squezes it off. Boom!!!! Deer kicks and runs up the hill a little ways and dies on the fence after it had tried jumping over. Range is about 230. This is ethan with a pic of horns of one of the littler 5 points. Ethans first buck.
Ethanfirstbuck.jpg

This year I had drawn the unit 18 mule deer tag and was excited for it. 2005 had shown us some monster muledeer but I didn't have a tag that year. Well as it goes, the first drawing the only thing I got was an xtra doe tag. Then the second drawing came around and me and a close friend both drew. Just our luck, the rut started abnormally late this year. well not to get ahead of my self. The pre season was looked awesome. I had seen a 4 point that was in the 28-30 inch range with deep forks and very symetracle. I had also seen a very impressive looking 4 point. He was only in that 26 inch range but his mass was sheer impressive. Very tall and abnormally deep forks. awesome looking deer to say the least. On opening day I had went with my little brother and dad to see if we could get ethan his special draw bull elk in unit 11. Turned out that his tag went unfilled this year. After that I started hunting hard and saw probably two to three hundred muled deer bucks throughout the season. I just couldn't find any of the ones that I had seen in the pre season. I couldn't find anything over that 24in spread much less their size. The last week of the season my friend had come down to fill his tag so we headed over to were I had been seein a few four points hangin around. we stopped and started looking. It was his last day so if it had horns it was going to die. I spotted horns in the tall grass about 800yrds out. we parked the truck and made a stalk to within 400yrds. The wind was blowing mach 9 hear so he opted for a closer shot. We started working our way closer to him when he must have winded us. He stood up and started walking over the crest into the little valley that lay beyond. after he had stood up we could tell that he was a decent 4 point. we walked over and all hell broke loose from Aaron. I looked up in time to see the deer hobling away. I pulled up and sent an unnecessary 140gr. smk through it bringing it to the ground. This finished up Aarons tag and only left mine to go.

After Aaron had left for home I continued hunting seeing on buck that was in that 28in ranch but was ugly on the amount of mass he had. So I passed up this one to. 4 days till end of season I head up to a friends property and start looking for bucks. I had seen lots of smaller bucks here but no shooters for the time. We spotted a few little ones or ones we couldn't get to before dark. So after glassing that over we hoped in the truck and headed back down his drive way to look up and see a slug of deer up on the hill. we stop and glass and see one of the smaller four points I had allready passe up a few times this year. I decided that he was good enough. We got to a little ridge that put us 200yrds away from the buck and I settled and and squeezed the trigger. At the sond of the shot he started jogging away and then fell over. This is him
jacobsmuledeer.jpg

The last few days found me staring teary eyed at some of the preseason bucks. Oh well.

Hears a pic of my 2004 white tail in case you want to see.
jacobs4point.jpg
. Hope Your seasons went well.

[ QUOTE ]
The last few days found me staring teary eyed at some of the preseason bucks. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice story, thanks for sharing. And you know what they say, you can't get a big one if you shoot the little one first. We all learn it the hard way, but you still ended up with a nice one. Congrats.

Don

Ya, love to hunt anything that walks, crawls, or swims. I hear we kinda look alike to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh well, have to look like someone i guess and I think I would look funny if I resembled my mom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, I also forgot to tell you all that ethan might give me a run for my money on shooting. His 6,2 stature and 13 year old self shot a mule deer doe at 380yrds this year only having a boulder for a rest. In my opinion that was impressive. espicialy since my farthest shot on a deer was 430 somthing with a bipod. Hope to change that this year though. with college it may not be capable though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.