Solved the .300 Win Mag short neck problem 🤣

selmerfan

I've figured out how to solve the maligned short neck of the .300 Win Mag by making it just a little longer. 🤣. Seriously though, having fun to tinkering with form/trim die to make .350 Rem Mag from other belted Magnum cases because .350 Rem Mag is unobtanium.

Attachments

• 993847F5-4CCB-45BF-AD24-8E7799D1B1C1.jpeg
    993847F5-4CCB-45BF-AD24-8E7799D1B1C1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
Those cases are behaving way better than I would have thought with that much sizing. Your die looks to be working great.

Those cases are behaving way better than I would have thought with that much sizing. Your die looks to be working great.
Making .350 Rem Mag is the first time I've ever done any significant case forming that required form/trim die and cutting the case off. I've already made 20 cases that are now finished with the neck turning to make them fit the chamber and a second annealing. I've got 200 pieces of brass that came with my XP-100 center grip in .350 Rem Mag and the seller stated the brass was all once once or twice fired. Unless .350 Rem Mag standards of primer pocket fit are different than any other brass I've worked with in over 3 decades of reloading, he's either underestimating the number of times fired or was loading some loads hot enough to make the primer pockets looser than a ten year old screen door. Some of them are so loose that I can literally seat the primer, then tap the head of the case at a 45 degree angle on my bench and unseat the primer. Hence the search for new or once fired brass. Which is only available from Nosler at $5/case. So I've got a bunch of belted mag brass that I've collected over the years, though this XP is my first belted mag gun. So I've got nothing to lose playing around with forming some and seeing if they work well. I did discover why there is a difference between a Forster Coax and an RCBS A2 press when it comes to heavy duty forming tasks. The first 20 I did on the A2 and it was super easy. This case I decided to try the Coax because I had it mounted on the bench. Much more effort with the Coax. I'll do the rest with the A2. Also, Imperial Sizing Die wax has been my go-to case lube for decades and it makes this process like butter. The first 20 I didn't even anneal. Just went after it with the Imperial and form/trim die. Didn't buckle or split a single one!

If you keep your eye out on several forums you can run across some every now and then. I bought 300 off a guy last year.

Recent Posts