Problem with 300 Win Mag???

longrange.270

Today I was reloading for my 300 WM. I zeroed my scale and set it for 64.5 grs of IMR4350. I dispensed some powder, weighed it, right dead on the line. I then poured the powder into the case and seated a bullet. Well when I seated the bullet i could hear, like the powder, getting crunched or something, when the bullet was almost fully seated. :( To me it seems like there isn't much of a gap in between the powder and the base of the bullet. I'm also using a Sierra Reloading Manual but using Hornady 208gr A-Max bullets. I have reloaded for my 300 WM before, but this time it was different. Seems like theres more powder in there then the other times. Oh and I've been reloading for about 2 months or so. :confused: If you guys/gals could help me out that would be great. Thanks longrange.270.

Its just a slightly compressed load. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just depends on what cartridge/powder/bullet combo your using, but its quite common when using target bullets that take up quite a bit of space. Your not doing anything wrong, it is what it is.

Do you think I should knock the grains down a little?? So the only thing that is going to happen is that its just going to be a little hotter then normal??

You should not be compressing powder at 64.5 grains. I load 75 grains of RL22, 77 grains RL25 and have been up to 79 grains H1000. I am loading out to the lands so my bullet is not being seated very deep in the case, but even so I do not see how you are compressing powder at 64.5 grains.

You need to get some check weights and check your scale out. It would not be good if your scale is off and you are filling a 300 win mag case with IMR4350!!

I have tried to set my seating die to where my bullets are touching my lands and it wont like me lock the bolt until its the factory length of 3.340. Then it will chamber smooth. I mean its not really compressing the power. Like when I shake the case the power still shakes around a bit. I think what it might be is that I haven't been zeroing my scale every time before i start throwing powder. The past times it might of been a bit soft on the weight. Are you saying that I shouldn't be using IMR4350 in my 300 Win Mag and using something else? So I guess what does it all come down to, should I get a bullet puller and start over or should i just shoot them??

I dont think theres a problem with your load. 64.5g with a long 208g AMAX seated to SAAMI, OAL will give you the results your seeing. A compressed load is not a bad thing. If you look through the Nosler guides, they have the loading density right there and A LOT of cartridges with bullets/powders will give slightly compressed or really compressed loads. USually anything around 95% or above loading density will result in a slightly or compressed load. So much that you have to use a 6" drop tube to get all the powder in the case. This is usually due to slower burning powders. Its not dangerous if your using the right powder/bullet combo.

An example that I have is a .243 w/55g bullets using H-380 powder. I dont even weigh the charges. I literally fill the powder to the very top, scrape off the top and seat a bullet. That is a very compressed load, but still within specs for that given bullet/powder.

Do you think I should knock the grains down a little?? So the only thing that is going to happen is that its just going to be a little hotter then normal??

Hey Longrange.270,
There's nothing wrong with a compressed load if it's a proper load...the reloading manual should note that's a compressed load, however. Usually, not always, compressed loads are in the upper ranges of a cartridge's operating pressures and one should not start out a new load in those upper ranges. Reloading is one activity where precision is not only necessary but mandatory.

The reason for this care is simply that no two rifles are the same...slight differences in the chambers, throats, barrels will affect all the characteristics of your finished round, thus the most important principal in reloading remains...always start a new load 10% low and work up.

If you are uncertain as to the potential effect of any handload you have manufactured, dump it and start over. Remember that you are pouring high explosives into a little brass cylinder and setting it off mere inches from your face!!! BJ

I have already fired this brass twice but I'm pretty sure they were under what I have put in the now. I think I'm going to try at least a couple rounds to see if there's any pressure signs. I'm using 208gr A-Maxs and 64.5 IMR 4350. I'm going to try it. If there bad, a bullet puller is in the works for sure. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts