• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Sold!

alf

FOR SALE:

As new Bartlein 5R stainless steel barrel chambered in 6.5-284 for a Remington 700 with standard threads and standard thickness recoil lug, throated for 140/142 class bullets, and using Lapua brass with a no turn neck. Remington Varmint contour, 27 inches long, .830" at the muzzle, weighing in at 5 pounds, 15 ounces.

The barrel was chambered by a smith in Idaho for his personal gun, then decided to go with a straight 284 instead. He only shot it 20 times for break in, and then I bought it. He did not say what the twist was, and I never asked. I assumed, as it was throated for the 140/142's, that it was an 8 or 8.5".

Up till yesterday, I had not shot it. I have a couple other barrels for this gun that really need to get shot out first, so that's the reason for selling this one. Anyway, after trying for too long to figure out what the actually twist was by the tight patch on the rod trick, I sent him an e-mail to find out for sure, and it's a 9" twist.

So curiosity got the best of me, as I have never shot a 9", only 8 or 8.5's in any custom tubes. I grabbed a few of my pet loads from one of my other 6.5-284's loaded with 4831-SC and 140 VLD's, and off to the quarry I go. Aiming at the middle of the target, I shot one shot at 50 yards to find the impact, then moved the target back to 100, and aiming at the lower left bull, shot three. Mirage was running hard, making finding the center tough. Also, I had forgot the 3" top for my Sinclair rest, so I stacked up several sand bags on the front base, and used my Protektor rear bag. Even though I shanked the third to the right a bit, they still went into .625".

008wmj.jpg

Knowing I could do better, I stacked two more sand bags on both sides of the forend to give it a little more lateral support, then switched to a different sized bull, and shot three more. Those three all touched and went into a nice little .350".

009jg.jpg

Test mule......

003qs.jpg

So there's 27 shots down the bore, and looks like it'll shoot just fine......

$395.00 shipped priority mail in the US only.

Payment by USPS money order, and no trades, thanks.