So what wrong with a .243 on Elk?

Well with the the opinions I have heard I still dont feel that a 300 Mag is the way to go...............To much recoil, should have a MB, better weigh 10+ lbs.........

A 6.5-06 would be a huge improvement over a .243 Just might be the way I will go.

G

I could change your mind in 10 minutes or less from my yard. But hey, go with what you feel will work for you. I was shooting a 6.5 x 284 with 140's extensively last week. It was a Mod 52 Cooper. I can tell you the difference at 500 plus ain't small. I hate it when I have to pull an ear plug to hear steel ring. No need with a 300. By the way, the 6.5 with no brake had more recoil than my 300 with a 215 gr bullet.

Jeff

I could change your mind in 10 minutes or less from my yard. But hey, go with what you feel will work for you. I was shooting a 6.5 x 284 with 140's extensively last week. It was a Mod 52 Cooper. I can tell you the difference at 500 plus ain't small. I hate it when I have to pull an ear plug to hear steel ring. No need with a 300. By the way, the 6.5 with no brake had more recoil than my 300 with a 215 gr bullet.

Jeff

Broz, as you know---"you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."
I'm pretty sure you aren't gonna be able to convince anyone on this thread about the 300. But, hey, I'd just keep on keeping track of those totals................:Dgun)

Randy

P.S.---Bigger IS better when it comes to elk.

That would also include all of the 25cal ......................also. That might get you 75 ft. and the 6.5 might add on an additional 25 ft.

The peashooter is a toy version of the blowgun or blowpipe. It is usually a tube that that launches its projectiles via blowing. As the name suggests the normal ammunition is peas (usually dried), though other seeds, fruits, improvised darts, or wadded up paper can also be used. The P-26 was nicknamed the Peashooter because it has no visible armament (it had two machine guns on the floor of the cockpit shooting through the propeller). It did, however, have a long tube gunsight just forward of the windscreen that appeared to be its only armament.

Peashooter.arp.750pix.jpg

[ame]http://youtu.be/wQ6xggputVw[/ame]

Thank you westcliffe01, I've got time in with a peashooter, but I did not know that particular aircraft. I knew there were aircraft the guns were timed to fire through the props. More of technical challenge than I'd be up for.

This entire thread is a button pushing exercise by Mr Du errr...... Along with several other threads with similar button pushing titles... I thought cabin fever was something people got in winter ??

I told a friend at work about this thread so he sent me a pic of one of his bulls, average bull for this area and we kill quite a few and a few bigger. Anyway this bull dropped so hard it broke his bottom jaw, 105 Berger through the shoulders at 100 yards in the timber. Man I wish we could get good thirds on a bull!

077.jpg

078.jpg

I told a friend at work about this thread so he sent me a pic of one of his bulls, average bull for this area and we kill quite a few and a few bigger. Anyway this bull dropped so hard it broke his bottom jaw, 105 Berger through the shoulders at 100 yards in the timber. Man I wish we could get good thirds on a bull!

View attachment 24056

View attachment 24057

Well, it appears that our Idaho bulls wandered over your way---------------no thirds here either. But, hey, you can't eat thirds.:)

Randy

Thats true, I do have a part of me that likes to push buttons, however it was not my intent with the question I posted. I push a lot of them at work with the guys that still feel that Obama will go down in History as the greatest President .................In US history.

When I had my .243AI built I was not aware nor did I have much knowlege about twist rates. If I had a do over it would have a 1x8 Even then the reamer still gave me a long wide throut that will NOT shoot boat-tail bullets. There are very few really good Flat base ones out there. Because of the Bullet supply issues all I could find were Sierra Pro Hunter's so that will be the bullet I use this fall for Mule Deer and Elk.

All of us on this sight have gone through learing curves, mine might be a tad bit longer than yours but Im still learning.

Thanks for not being to hard on me.

G

I've been hunting elk in Colorado since the late 90's. I started with a .270 pushing 150 NP, moved up to a .300 WM and Barnes 168 TSX loads three or four years later. I've killed a lot of elk with both. I've always taken a back up rifle just in case, and so far have never had a need to fire a shot from the back up. Most years it was a 30-30 Marlin. This year I have a new FN .300 WSM for my main rifle, and will be taking my .243 for the first time as a short range solution for the timber, or back up if need be.

I think it all boils down to being honest with one's self as far as their abilities and experience merit. I've put a good number of the deer and elk down with a neck or head shot, and I know exactly what my limits are for all of my rifles. My .300's can certainly reach out there, I know I can place bullets on paper at extended ranges, but I am not good with trying to end a game animal with those loads past 650 yards. My .243 is limited to elk at 200 yards, and only on a stationary target, calm conditions and a very calculated send.

I lost a cow two years ago on a 700 yard shot from my 300 WM that I saw hit hard. We tracked her for over a mile, saw that she bedded four different times, but she continued to chase the herd on to private property that we couldn't get permission to recover her from.

It's all about knowing the limits of your gear and yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.