Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

So here is what I'm noticing from everybody's input. It seems the 22 cal bullets are preferred but in a larger case capacity than the .223 gives, and the 22-250 seems to be the most popular so far with the 243 and 223 a tie for second. The 6mm bullets also are popular but cartridge wise are split between a few different cartridges. Bullet weights for the 22 cal run from 55-75 grains so the barrel should be twisted appropriately to stabilize the heavier bullets. By far the most requested barrel length is 24". The barrel should be slightly heavier than a sporter weight barrel but not overly heavy like on a tactical type rifle. A Krieger #4 Heavy sporter seems to fit the bill and is close in contour to other contours requested. Fluting seems to also be highly requested.

For the stock, I am seeing a lot of requests for a stock shape with a narrower forend, and a normal sporter type grip is also the favorite. Being that we would like to build this rifle to suit all sorts, I would like to stay away from stocks with cast-off or shadowline cheeks so the lefty shooters (such as my wife) can also feel comfortable with it. The McMillan Remington Varmint stock has a 2" forend and trim grip. The HTG would also be a nice stock along with the Manners MCS-T. An adjustable cheek is a huge benefit on these stocks so I am happy to see many of you have requested such a feature. Colors seem to be a desert oriented type with accompanying color on the metal. Two studs is pretty much the norm up front and one in the rear.

Here is what I'm coming up with based these parameters:

Caliber: 22-250

Bullet: 55-75 grain

Twist: 8

Contour: Benchmark barrel for Krieger #4 Heavy Sporter, fluted.

Length: 24"

Flutes: yes

Stock: Manners MCS-TA with lightest fill, Inlet for SMR 3600 action and PTG BDL hardware, two bipod studs in front one in the rear. LOP set for 13.25".

Color: Molded in desert sage

I'll get a quote worked up on this and get an ESTIMATED price posted. Thank you to everybody that posted. I think these specs will make a fine walking varminter. We'll get things ordered this week.

Geb

Scott,

These specs. We can surely build to any other spec if a customer wants. SHOT was very busy and we made a lot of contacts for the business. We'll be in contact with Michael, I'm not sure if Jason has had the opportunity to call him yet or not.

Geb

1 6mm ai
2 1-10
3 rem sendero fluted
4 24
5 65 gr vmax kissing 3900fps
6 mcmillan a3 sporter
7 10% gray 10% black and 80% hunter green
8 the a3 has got it
9 timney

1 6mm ai
2 1-10
3 rem sendero fluted
4 24
5 65 gr vmax kissing 3900fps
6 mcmillan a3 sporter
7 10% gray 10% black and 80% hunter green
8 the a3 has got it
9 timney

I love the 6mmAI. With that said, THE biggest mistake I made when I built mine was putting a slow twist barrel on it. Huge mistake. I've never have been able to get used my Timney either... that wide shoe just screws with me :D

Geb,

Any chance of a LH variant?

Thanks

I love the 6mmAI. With that said, THE biggest mistake I made when I built mine was putting a slow twist barrel on it. Huge mistake. I've never have been able to get used my Timney either... that wide shoe just screws with me :D

Geb,

Any chance of a LH variant?

Thanks

We can definately do a left hand variant. The lead time may or may not be affected as we don't keep any lefty actions on hand, but we'd be waiting on the stock and barrel anyway. If there is enough interest, I think we could build one of those as well, or several. ;)

Geb

At your estimated $2600, that's a better value than a Cooper or a Kimber! Someday... it will be mine!!!

That is a smoking deal for sure. My check book is in recover mode from picking up my Springfield Operator... I'll see if I can talk Geb in to a Lefty soon :D

t

1. 22-250 or .223
2. 22-250 twist=1 in 8, .223=1 in 7 or 8 for heavy pills
3. Predator action or Remington trued action
4. Benchmark light plama contour, fluted threaded for suppressor w/thread protector. (My boy says flutes look Cool)
5. McMillan HTG Adj. 50% med. tan, 25% black, 25% OD green
6. Trigger personal choice but 1.5 to 2 pounds
7. BDL type bottom metal. Not a big fan of removable magazines
8. Topped with an NXS 3.5-15X56 NPR-1

I already have a 22-250 very close to this. The barrel is a benchmark med. palma contour and the stock is an HTG Adj. but is 50% med tan 25% black and 25% red.
The light palma would lighten it up a little but thats the only change I would make.

9 twist
17 Remington
AICS bottom metal
Remington varmint profile stainless 24"
Any custom stainless 700 clone action
Timney trigger at 1.5lbs
McM Hunters Edge side flush cups
Running 30gr Nagel or Kindler over varget

Just a short update that we are still waiting on components to show up. Again, thank you to everybody that chimed in for this project. Feel free to call me if you have any questions or would like to build a rifle similar to this but to your own specs.

Geb

Final specs I posted on page 13. Unfortunately I no longer work for SMR and haven't inquired on the status of this rifle for a while. You can give the shop a call and ask if you are still interested in it or they can build a rifle to different specs if you would like.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.