Smart *** gunshop clerk

For 8 hours continuously. Please don't misconstrue the information they provide. And from their own chart:

View attachment 424977

Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level.
But for how long/ how many shots? Is that listed in the charts-- at what point ( how many shots at 140 dB go over your limit?
And it's not necessarily 85 dB for 8 hours straight-- if you have noise level higher peaks it will lower your time limit-- its a time weighted average

So many times people misunderstand OSHA rules. Hearing pro is based on industrial noise in a sustained environment primarily. One time noise levels and sound impact on the ear drum are another issue, separate from industrial work. There is a pile of information out there to help a person understand it all if they want to look into instead of just spewing some OSHA rule that is not designed around shooting. In the end, a rifle is still loud, it can still damage your hearing, but so can a ****ed off wife.

Suppressors are just a better way in my opinion, I haven't found ANYTHING that I do better shooting without one than I do with one. I have seen many times where people just flat out shoot better with than without too because of the lack of concussion. 28N, 300RUM, these things with a brake are miserable. With the can they are puppies. I have significant hearing loss, one unplugged or no-can shot from a braked rifle can send me down the ears ringing and ringing painfully road for days.

Do yourself a favor, don't be like me and a lot of other dumbarses that didn't get a can a long time ago, we didn't plug AND muff our ears at the range, we thought a hunting situation with a rifle was a situation where hearing protection wasn't really needed, we thought we were smart. We were stupid and/or ignorant. Now we are paying for it daily in most all aspects of life and trying to help others not end up in the same shite river without a paddle. There is NO recourse for hearing damage, only ways to deal with it and frankly most suck.

Cans are expensive, maybe even ridiculously so, I get that and the govt bull that goes along with them makes me furious. Get a can, don't get a can, your call but don't shoot any guns without ear pro, don't shoot braked guns without double protection if at all possible and don't ever shoot at a range without double ear pro. It's too easy to take precautions to not. Buy a box of ear plugs, put a set in EVERY case you have, put a set or 5 in EVERY shooting bag, put a couple sets in EVERY car, if you get the ones with the cord on them tie a set on EVERY rifle, $15 and a few minutes is all it takes.

Sorry for the rant-ish post, the hearing loss I have (industrial and shooting related) is F'ing miserable and I wouldn't wish it on but a few people.

To the OP - don't let that experience steer you away from suppressors.

Can these suppressors get expensive - YES!
Do they add length and weight to your rifles - YES!
Does the wait time make a guy darn near go bald from all the stress? YES!

However - once you take that rig out and shoot your first animal - or take your child/grandchildren/friend out to experience a whole new way to enjoy firearms - it makes it ALL WORTH IT!

Do I have cans? Nope. If I could afford them would have them? Absolutely depending on the job. I'd probably still wear hearing proctection due to the condition of my hearing. But considering the health advantages of having a suppressor I'd say they are well worth the cost.

I think you will find that the majority of shooters that shoot suppressed tend to have multiple suppressors. I am certainly in that group. Given their relative high cost (including tax stamp) and the hassel of setting up trusts and having to wait forever for BATFE to get their act together, you need to ask yourself if suppressors do so little - then why are there so many repeat customers? New manufacturers are sprining up every year. Form 4 submissions are at an all-time high. And all this is happening in light of the fact that suppressors 'aren't worth it'? Perhap's the emporer has no clothes after all.

I shoot suppressed on about everything from .223 to 300wm. Unless you are doing mag dumps maybe you might need ears. I don't ever wear hearing protection anymore when shooting suppressed. Recoil reduction is great right rivals with top quality brakes, but gone is the muzzle brake percussion and noise. To me they are a no brainer if you can afford them.

They are totally worth it to me. Centerfire rifle with normal supersonic loads are much quieter than unsuppressed.

Can't say absolutely hearing safe (depends on a lot of factors) but so much less damaging.

Hunting, I don't worry about ear pro. All other shooting, I do.

Recent Posts