Small spotter or binos

correct me if I am wrong here, but you say WE are going on this hunt, thus, means more than 1 person?
maybe one carry the bino's and the other carry a good spotting scope and maybe a compact set of light bino's

a spotting scope is going to save you a LOT of walking if you find things far away with the bino's that look sort of worth the hike
ideally I say you need both bino's and a spotting cope if your after trophy class animals and want to save on some hiking!
also keep in mind, if this is a once in a life time hunt, /draw deal, might be worth buying what you want to have, can always sell and recoup some of the costs if there a part of the decision here for you
food for thought

I carry a little 11-33 razor. Some days I wish it had a bit more but it Weighs nothing and gets the job done. I'd have a Tripod with me regardless.

Also always a 10x bino.

Last edited:
I carry 10x's in my chest pack for walking around hunting but drop a pair of 18x's and a tripod in my pack for back country hunting. As noted above, working thru a spotter is really hard on the eyes long term.

Oh I see. Your use of 'and' here made it seem like you were wanting to carry two spotters or a spotter and big binos.

To me, so long as you can get your binos on a tripod, that's plenty for spotting in high country. I use my 10s on a tripod for spotting 100% of the time and I've never had an issue. I think the best bet is to supplement that with a spotter. You have a spotter, so it's up to you if you want to carry that or not.

Do you have a really good pack, really good boots, great optics in your rifle, good tent, sleeping bag, pad? All the other stuff you'll need to backcountry hunt? Do you need a kestrel?

In my opinion, if you don't have all of the other stuff that you need I'd start filling that stuff in before buying a redundant item. I went with a 65mm ATX for my spotter becasue I don't like carrying heavy stuff and I like that if I want to I can go bigger for half the cost of a new Swarovski spotter.

The spotting scope is going to do more for you as far as getting a better look at something than binos. If it's something you want to glass with more magnification with then the binos are your answer. If I got the binos I'd still want to be taking the spotter though. 15x isn't as much as 40x or more from the spotter, you'll get a better look with the spotter.
We hunt and pack out elk all the time but it is close timber. Good tent bought own two kuiu packs, I love my kenetrek boots, have all of the ballistic data. W kestrel. Very seasoned hunter just never needed more than what I have. Elk hunting I've acquired the packs and have walked in 6 miles to hunt, but for this one we are thinking if weather doesn't hit we may walk in 6 miles to camp and hunt from there. Just wanting input from those of you who have experience doing this sort of thing. Need to buy new pad and sleeping bag though. Thank you for your input

We hunt and pack out elk all the time but it is close timber. Good tent bought own two kuiu packs, I love my kenetrek boots, have all of the ballistic data. W kestrel. Very seasoned hunter just never needed more than what I have. Elk hunting I've acquired the packs and have walked in 6 miles to hunt, but for this one we are thinking if weather doesn't hit we may walk in 6 miles to camp and hunt from there. Just wanting input from those of you who have experience doing this sort of thing. Need to buy new pad and sleeping bag though. Thank you for your input
I'd possibly split the weight of the tripod and spotter. Idk I don't like carrying too much weight. Good luck on your hunt. High country deer aren't terribly hard to find. Get a smaller spotter if you want. I wouldn't bother in the bigger binos unless you plan on getting a lot of use out of them.

I know this isn;t something I think I would ever do
but there are places that RENT optic's too, you could rent what you want and return when done, and not have to buy things?

places like this

I don't know if Leupold still makes it but several years ago I bought a 15-30 gold ring compact spotter from Cabela's. Iv used it many time hunting mule deer in conjunction with my bino. Cool part was I used my trecking pole or shooting sticks to hold them. Then if I needed to really check out a deer that might be a shooter, I'd put it on my tripod. Good luck on your hunt!!!!

No just carrying two. My rangefinding Binos will always Carry with was just wondering on something lighter than my 80mm spotting scope or do I just need to quit being a Pansy and just carry the big spotter.
I would have a very good back pack, preferably with a built in scabbard for the rifle or a tripod.
Id also be taking the spotter along in the pack, and be using the glasses you have.
Also have a quick disconnect setup on the tripod head with both the glasses and spotter set up for using it, each having their own connector plate so you can switch from one to the other quickly, and back again if desired.
If the glasses arent setup for use on a tripod, there are after market attachments that will do that.
I have friends who have made their own very easily.
Fact is your rangefinder will be better when used on a tripod as well.
You will not glass effectively for long sessions without a tripod.
After the hunt you will know what equipment you would rather have for the next one without asking other peoples opinion.

I don't have the ability or desire to pack extra weight. I can easily tell with my 10x if I need to make a move on it. I'm not packing a spotter.
If you are dead set on hiking in a spotter I would suggest the Vortex 13-33x50

Consider Digi-scope, Longshot Hawk, or other type pairing with your high resolution phone/tablet and spotting scope. Provides two eye viewing for reduced eye strain, easy to catch pics/video, and better surrounding situational awareness than binos or scope for toothed/clawed critters sneaking in on you.
Forgot to mention.... digi-scope/Longshot Hawk type attachment can actually be attached to rifle scope (rifle mounted on tripod for detail glassing) possibly eliminating the separate spotting scope completely, while eliminating eye strain, maximizing situational awareness, lowering weight.

Forgot to mention.... digi-scope/Longshot Hawk type attachment can actually be attached to rifle scope (rifle mounted on tripod for detail glassing) possibly eliminating the separate spotting scope completely, while eliminating eye strain, maximizing situational awareness, lowering weight.
Would this be like using your rifle scope to glass an area look at things to verify what it is or isn't?

Last edited:
I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when i see someone scoping an area with their rifle.
Especially when im within the area being scoped.
A few years back a couple of us were on a lookout glassing during bear season. About 1500 yards away across the valley was another lookout unoccupied.
After awhile we noticed 2 bush hunters standing over there.
Of coarse we could be seen by them as well.
A bit later one of them was laying on his belly scoping us.
He probably couldnt have hit us even if he tried from that distance, but it did raise the neck hairs a bit.
We have had people walk up to a spot we were glassing from.
What are you guys doin? Just glassing that hillside over there.
They usually shoulder their rifle and point it over there, and after waving it around some say not much over there is there?
Best responce is none, that way they leave sooner.

Here is a option that few people know about! Picture is of a Leupold 25x power super compact spotter. At the time I thought it was brilliant. They took a 30-33mm x 50mm scope tube and made it a straight 25x with good rubber armour on the outside. It came with a fine crosshair in it, to you could show someone exactly where you were looking! It weights just 20oz. and is only 9.75 inches in length!
It's a great pack for me when going to the range bench with all my crap.

Attachments

• 25x Leupold compact spotter.jpg
    25x Leupold compact spotter.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 39
Here is a option that few people know about! Picture is of a Leupold 25x power super compact spotter. At the time I thought it was brilliant. They took a 30-33mm x 50mm scope tube and made it a straight 25x with good rubber armour on the outside. It came with a fine crosshair in it, to you could show someone exactly where you were looking! It weights just 20oz. and is only 9.75 inches in length!
It's a great pack for me when going to the range bench with all my crap.
Well some people knew enough about them to buy 2 of them.
And they put them into aluminum brackets and made very good binoculars out of them.
Another very good and arguably even better one is the now vintage Bushnell Sentry 2 model 50 mm spotter.
Better from the standpoint that any 1" threaded eyepiece can be used in it. Which can improve it cosiderably.
If you enjoy watching people sweat, set up a set of those with good eyepieces next to their pricey 15x binnocs. and ask them to compare them. Dont be expecting any consessions, but that wont be neccesary, the look on their face will say it all. lol

Recent Posts