Small primer in 6.5X47 Lapua

Natty Bumpo

Was curious why the 6.5X47 Lapua uses a small rifle primer. I see, according to the Vhitavouri reloading manual, with a 123 grain bullet, max loads call for 36-40 grains of powder. About the same as a .22-250. Seems like a lot for a small rifle primer. But, I figure the guys at Lapua know a bit more about internal ballistics than I do, so they must've had a good reason. Do most of the BR and PPC cartridges use small primers too?

The PPC and BR both use small rifle primers. I have had no ignition problems at all using 40+ grains of powder in the 6x47 and 6.5x47. I am using winchester primers, a lot of guys are using the cci 450 magnum primers.

6.5 x 47 Lapua

I built a hunting rifle on the 6.5x47Lapua cartridge on a weatherby vanguard action and the combination is brilliant, the rifle drops Roos & goats very well out to the 500yds so I reckon they got the ballistics using the small primer spot on. Shane

When the lapua x47 was in prototype stage, it was a large rifle primer pocket. Then it was changed to a small and they found it provided better ignition and more consistency which translated to better accuracy as well.

The 6 br also went through similiar changes in it's conception. The 6ppc does also use the small primer.

I don't have enough experience to be commenting from experience :), but from all I've read, the small primer pocket handles pressure better and takes longer to loosen (i.e. better brass life). That's logical - there's more brass around the hole! Also generally (again hearsay) more consistency and accuracy. Rem made 308 Brass with small primer pockets at one time too for the accuracy nuts as I understand, although I never saw any here in South Africa.

I'm sure the guys who really know from experience will chime in.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts