Small base die 308 Winchester

Figured there wouldn't be. I only have a small base set. I FL size everything so that's where the question came from.
I have started using the small base dies on all my 308 s it seems especially used brass comes from auto or semi auto guns and standard dies do not work well even full length. If shooting an AR 10 especially or FAL. I also use gages for clearance.

Ok so I might be over thinking this but would there be a pressure or velocity change in a round the is FL sized using a Small Base vs A normal FL size die??

Also I am hoping to get in the 2600+ fps range with the 185 jugs in a 20" HMR. Which powder do you think I should start with, varget or IMR 4064? I am also in south Louisiana so temp stability would be nice.

I got great accuracy and 2640fps with 185gr Berger Classic Hunters pushed by Varget but that was from a 24" barrel.

I have a small base body die but the only time I've used it was to get brass to chamber in a different barrel than it was fired in. For that purpose, it works great.

John

Last edited:
I am shooting a factory Tikka with 20 inch barrel out to 1000 yards. I am getting 2643 fps with 175 SMK using Reloader 15. I tried Varget but couldn't get enough speed out of the 20 inch barrel.

Ok so I might be over thinking this but would there be a pressure or velocity change in a round the is FL sized using a Small Base vs A normal FL size die??

Also I am hoping to get in the 2600+ fps range with the 185 jugs in a 20" HMR. Which powder do you think I should start with, varget or IMR 4064? I am also in south Louisiana so temp stability would be nice.

Yes, there will be a pressure and velocity change when using a small base die vs a standard die. Will it be enough to make a noticeable difference? Probably not.

The more important issue is the effect upon available case capacity. When loading for heavy bullets in .308, preserving case capacity matters. Throat length, choice of brass, and sizing method all have an effect. Unless you have an unusually tight chamber that requires its use, the small base die makes little sense when applied to loading for a bolt action rifle.

The only time I have ever needed to use a small base die was when reloading surplus Lake City brass (most of which has been fired through machine guns). Even at that, the small base die was only needed for the initial sizing and loading. After that, it was not required, even when loading for semi autos.

While I don't believe your small base die is necessarily a problem, use of a Lee Collett Die would likely be helpful to you between full length sizings and is an inexpensive way to go.

As for powder choice to meet your desired muzzle velocity, IF you have enough throat length to seat the 185's to 2.90"+ AND you are using brass with a fired capacity of 56.0 grains or greater, Hybrid 100V or RL16 deserve a look. Both will provide a velocity boost over Varget or IMR 4064. Hybrid 100V is reasonably temp stable. RL16 has temp stability that will equal or exceed that of Varget. A drop tube is a good idea with these powders.

well
if the brass was fired in your rifle, it should size with STD dies if it is a 308 win. period. the specs for ammo and chamber are such that the ammo fits.
now if you have brass shot in a 7.62X51 CHAMBER in semi or full auto, all bets are off.
BUT
ONCE sized in a sb die, and shot in your rifle, std should work.
not chamber checking ammo before a hunt is not a good idea.
I have had rounds NOT chamber using regular dies. Cost me a deer years ago.

Besides, who said it was a spec chamber?

Small Base Dies are intended for autoloaders only. On autoloaders the brass is fractionally out of battery with a high gas pressure that flares/bells the bottom of the case. This can lead to a failure to chamber on tight chambers. All the SBD does is size the extreme bottom of the case at the web...

Well the reason for the small base question is because thats the only 308 win set i have. I bought them for loading for my LMT MWS. So I was wondering if it was needed to get a Regular FL die? As far as the speed I have gotten 2600+ out of the classic hunters but not good groups. Now that was before I had to send the rifle back to Bergara because of a crappy crown job. They took care of it. Got it back and bedded the recoil lug and the gun has shot pretty darn good. I will be loading these rounds alot longer so that will help in FPS. My Bergara and a very long feed ramp so it restricts even loading to full AICS mag length. SO my 185 rounds will be single fed. Very anxious to give it a whirl. In about a week I will let yall know how it turns out.
Thanks
MKG

Well the reason for the small base question is because thats the only 308 win set i have. I bought them for loading for my LMT MWS. So I was wondering if it was needed to get a Regular FL die? As far as the speed I have gotten 2600+ out of the classic hunters but not good groups. Now that was before I had to send the rifle back to Bergara because of a crappy crown job. They took care of it. Got it back and bedded the recoil lug and the gun has shot pretty darn good. I will be loading these rounds alot longer so that will help in FPS. My Bergara and a very long feed ramp so it restricts even loading to full AICS mag length. SO my 185 rounds will be single fed. Very anxious to give it a whirl. In about a week I will let yall know how it turns out.
Thanks
MKG

You can mill or carefully Dremel a notch in the middle of the feed ramp that is deep enough to line up with the inside of your magazine. Many Remingtons have had the same thing done to them.

Small base dies are a good fix, when your off the shelf dies doesn't size the base of the case down enough to eliminate clickers at the top of the bolt lift.....basically the off the shelf die doesn't match the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.