Small, accurate and effective muzzle brake for a 338 Lapua?

Vais was sold some time ago to Ron Bartlett who built the last contour matched brake that I bought. I'm not sure if they are available anymore. Slab brakes have really cornered the market because of their ability to maximize recoil reduction, IMO anyway.

Vais brake and another radial were the worst MBs I ever have, and I cannot get rid of them fast enough. That was a few years ago; however, I have a rifle I purchased (I could not resist the price) 2 years ago that came with a Vais. Since I will use it as a range/target rifle only, I will leave it until it is time to re-barrel.

Savage 12 .300 WSM + Choate stock.jpg

Savage 12 .300 WSM + Choate stock3.jpg

Vais brake and another radial were the worst MBs I ever have, and I cannot get rid of them fast enough. That was a few years ago; however, I have a rifle I purchased (I could not resist the price) 2 years ago that came with a Vais. Since I will use it as a range/target rifle only, I will leave it until it is time to re-barrel.

View attachment 379213
View attachment 379214

Why don't you just screw it off and put on what you want?

Thinking of getting this brake from "muzzlebrakes and more" to put on a Savage LRH....the Super Baby Beast 4 port (.800" x 2.67") since my barrel will only be .750" at the muzzle.

Anyone have any experience with this brake or recommend something else? It will be a hunting rifle, so I want it to sort of be not super big hanging off the end of the barrel.
Im running a beast 5 port from MBM on my .338LM. Watch the videos for performance of brakes Nathan has on the MBM website
on recoil reduction on his sled.

I would call and talk to Nathan or email him. He is very helpful.

Vais are not made any more. A law suit from the founder of Vias put Ron out of business. I suspect the founder Vais sold the patent. I for one loved a Vais muzzle brake on my 300 W.M. . I use to shoot the 300 WM with no brake and was only able to shoot 5 or 6 times before my shoulder started to give out. With the Vais brake on the 300 WM I now shoot 20 rounds with no problem. As far from shooting prone I don't notice ground debris flying up more with the Vais then in more then with no brake. Just my opinion...

I honestly don't understand the hate for the Vais brake? Is it noise, lack of recoil reduction, ????? Please understand that alot of us are old (enough) that we didn't have the selection. It was either Magna Porting, Dave Gentry's "Quiet Brake" Vais, or Ben Gay. Plus, I will use hearing protection EVEN while hunting if I have a boomer. Or I'll screw on the ThunderBeast..... rsb

I honestly don't understand the hate for the Vais brake? Is it noise, lack of recoil reduction, ????? Please understand that alot of us are old (enough) that we didn't have the selection. It was either Magna Porting, Dave Gentry's "Quiet Brake" Vais, or Ben Gay. Plus, I will use hearing protection EVEN while hunting if I have a boomer. Or I'll screw on the ThunderBeast..... rsb
I'm really glad you posted this. I do not get it either. When I first came across a Vias brake, I understand the physics of its engineering & thought that it was pretty ingenious. I did a good bit of reading reviews & talking to long time benchrest shooters & long range hunters that I know & I trust their input based off of firsthand experience. I came across quite a few negative reviews on the Vias brake, but many more great reviews, & ALL of the guys I personally talked to that have used many diff brakes, including the VIas, all had nothing but good things to say about them & how they out performed in felt recoil reduction over any other radial brakes they'd ever used. Needless to say, that that left me " considering the source " of the guys that wrote negative reviews on it. I may very well just have one made to see for myself.

Hands down I would grab a Ti Pro 3 titanium. Its flat been Anazing for all the 338's it's been on !
Currently on a 24" carbon 338 Rum . They just flat work and I was a T-3 Termanator lover and still Run them on a few Rifles .
Lots of great choices out there but this TiPro 3 is Top on my list now !
This is there self timer !

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20210901_191459.jpg
    20210901_191459.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
I never said I hate Vais brake, but it is the worst muzzle brake I ever have. I have been using muzzle brakes since 2003 and have tried plenty of different types/designs of MBs that are more effective than any radial MBs out there. If you are happy with the radials, stick with them.

Gentry's quiet brake from Montana was the other MB that I had. Gentry actually portrayed one of the reasons radial is not my preference.

Gentry's quiet brake.jpg

Again, good luck with your choice of MB.

The majority of my MBs are from Nathan. Call/email him and he will advise on which of his MBs work best for your rifle set-up.
Yes, he's an impressive individual & a great guy to deal with. I'm really happy I came across his recoil sled tests on youtube. The Ti 5 port Beast will not be my last brake from Nathan.

MBM makes solid/effective brakes. If you are wanting something self-timing, I think Area419 and Hawkins have better designed systems which are more user friendly.

I realize that brakes have made great strides......from what I read, the biggest, and valid reason for the anti radial feeling, is the dirt, debris, it blows up while shooting prone or sitting.....and I agree with that. But, I also used a "tank" brake on a 7SAUM with my son in a blind. The muzzle and the brake were a good ways out of the window. At the shot, I thought the world had ended!!!! The brake directed the blast out of the sides and behind......partially into the blind.... That is why I now use silencers......And believe they ought to be able to be bought over the counter.....rsbhunter

I realize that brakes have made great strides......from what I read, the biggest, and valid reason for the anti radial feeling, is the dirt, debris, it blows up while shooting prone or sitting.....and I agree with that. But, I also used a "tank" brake on a 7SAUM with my son in a blind. The muzzle and the brake were a good ways out of the window. At the shot, I thought the world had ended!!!! The brake directed the blast out of the sides and behind......partially into the blind.... That is why I now use silencers......And believe they ought to be able to be bought over the counter.....rsbhunter
I, too, use suppressors, except the OP asked for a muzzle brake. Do you have a picture of the tank brake?