Slippery Coyotes.

rtv900

Well I have to post some sad news. Sad for me anyways. I have a case of "cannot place a shot on a coyote".:eek:

In the fall of 07 I was down south quail hunting. I had a new 338 federal. I brought it along just in case I could find a coyote or two. I had not shot anything but paper so I was itching to use it before I went deer hunting. Well I had some beginners luck. I got three of them by just driving from one quail hunting spot to another. They were in the field and I would stop and setup and shoot them. Easy as pie. I was loving it.

I have learned the true meaning of beginners luck. Since then it has been a sad situation. I have been out several times and I have only been lucky enough to miss. I cannot believe it. I have never missed a deer or an elk. Quite frankly I have never missed at all until now. I shoot weekly at the range. But these slippery coyotes are giving me a run for the money.

Well I am going out again this afternoon. Cross your fingers for me. I hope to get one this time.:cool:gun)

I'm sure you probably already checked, but are your rings and bases tight?
I'd bought a gun a few years ago,had a scope put on it and everything was fine for about two weeks ,then started scattering the pattern all over the board.
Turned out it was the front base that was loose! Good luck on your next hunt!

Its all me. I wish I could blame it on the gun, bases, rings or the scope but I cannot. I have forgotten to compensate for the wind a few times. I also think I am jerking the trigger. I video taped myself at the range and I think I am squeezing the trigger but several times I jerk the trigger. I am in a slump. I need to tag one to get out of it.

Coyotes have more lives than a cat. Seriously... My dad refers to it as coyotes having a forcesheild around them. I've definately missed my fair share of them. Very humbling. I've seen the dogs pull off some truly amazing escapes. Its one of those things where when its over, everyones left looking at each other saying 'what the H$!! just happened?'

It does seem that once you connect with one or two of them, things start to come together. If they are running and you can't stop them by barking, then all bets are off. The semi-auto AR15 helps a little on the running shots.

I didn't call one in the other day. I have been out every other or third day trying. I get at least an "A" for effort. I am using a T/C 25-06 so I get one shot. I am fine with that. In my area I have to watch for farms and livestock so I don't feel like I should be pulling off more than a shot at a time. I agree once I connect with a few more I hope to be on a roll. Until then I going to keep calling and trying to put them down.

I know what you mean. I`ve missed 2 coyotes this week. I`ve missed 4 so far this year. I`m considering trading 2 good rifles in for a pocket full of rocks. I missed 1 this morn at abt 355 yrds. Touched the trigger one the long range gun while taking my shooting breath, been shooting the AR to much lately. Should have been a piece of cake. I had the scope dialed in for 350 yrds., not much wind. I sure can make them run though.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.