Slick Bolt Parts

Joel Russo

Awaiting assembly...
Proprietary DLC treated bolt parts.
We use a titanium substrate, C12 Titankote, then Tribo-Kote S which gives us a very slick bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 129
How does this treatment compare to melonite as far as hardness?

The C12 process gives us a micro-hardness of 1000-2000HV, a build up of only 1.0-5.0 microns, a coefficient of friction of 0.1, and only requires a process temperature of 320* Fahrenheit.

I don't know the comparative numbers for melonite off the top of my head, but the DLC treatment kicks the pants off it. Particularly with the low process temperature for DLC.

The difference is the thickness of the coating as applied in the C12 process. This is a coating whereas as the melonite is a surface hardening treatment.

From Richter Precision, Inc.:

This Me-DLC coating is an excellent choice for tribological applications (cams, slides, shafts, etc). This coating utilizes the latest HIPIMS technology for improved adhesion characteristics and a defect-free inter-metallic layer

http://www.richterprecision.com/dlc-coatings.html

Note the technology used in the application of the coating, HIPIMS or High Power Impulse Magnetron Sputtering (HIPIMS) technology. This is a fascinating process and videos can be found on youtube.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.