Sizing new brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Iron Worker, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

I've been sharply rebuked for not sizing my new brass. Who thinks I deserve it? I'm loading W-W 223 to be fired out of a AR-15.

2. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

[quote I've been sharply rebuked for not sizing my new brass. [/quote]

Rebuked? That's pretty strong. After all, it's YOUR business if you size new brass or not. Avoiding it saves a little time and it presents no hazard. It's your choice if you load bullets normally or seat them backwards and call them "boat-tail wad cutters"! Some of our web "experts" over-do their prissy pontificiating!

That said, I size new bulk brass before I load it. Those cases come off several machines at a high rate of production so it's not truly consistant. FL sizing makes it more so and rounds/establishes the case mouths too. Sizing is cheap, we already have the tools and it doen't take long. Why not do it?

3. longrange.270

longrange.270 Well-Known Member

^ Same here. Doesn't take too long. Everyones doing it!!

4. kraky2

kraky2 Well-Known Member

To each his own but I wouldn't be wasting my time fl sizing new brass for an ar15.

5. coyotelatrans

coyotelatrans Active Member

I have the opposite opinion I don't size new brass for a bolt rifle but if I owned an AR style I would for reliable feeding, unless your using some high end brass to begin with.

6. kraky2

kraky2 Well-Known Member

I could be lucky but I've never had a jam with virgin unsized brass in my AR or any of my 3 browning BAR autoloaders. My day is probably coming but so far so good.

7. Willys46

Willys46 Well-Known Member

New brass I only rin them over a expander ball to make the necks round. Some of the cases that i get in bulk have squar necks making seating bullets tough. Other than that..shot to fire form to your chamber.

Willys

8. Mark S in NM

Mark S in NM Member

What Willys said.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008