Sizing brass

82ndreddevil

Well, I am having issues with reloading for my 300 win mag. I am new at reloading this caliber. I have reloaded for 308 before which was really easy, but this one has me confused. I am seeing a lot of different info on brass length for this caliber. I am also seeing a lot of stuff about worrying about lands, which I am not sure about. I am getting the brass to the proper length acording to the nosler manuel and when i put a bullet in the round slides around with minimal pressure. So my question is what is the range in length that this brass can safely be? How do I get the bullets to seat in better without them sliding around?

the answer on length is it depends on your chamber. Sinclair Chamber Length Gage - Sinclair Intl

Sinclair makes a small tool that will allow you to measure the exact length and and you can then make an informed decision on trim length for that chamber.

As for the round sliding around, IF you are talking about the bullet sliding up and down in the case neck, that means you do not have enough neck tension and are not sizing the neck down enough. If you are using a standard FL die something is seriously out of whack for that to happen. If a bushing die, you have too large a bushing.

That could happen if you neck turned the brass and tried to size with stanard FL die. When neck turning, you need to use bushing dies.

BH

I am not sure exactly what you mean by bushing. The dies I am using is made by RCBS and my press is just a basic chucker. But yes you are exactly right, the bullet slides in the neck of the casing. I have loaded for my 308 and 22-250 before with no issues, everything seemed to just work. But this one has been difficult. I will look up that guage you mentioned.

I recently encountered this problem for the first time in my reloading experience. It was in a 7mm rem mag Winchester belonging to my friend. We were using the Lee collet neck die and Nosler accubonds. After some confusion and troubleshooting we discovered the bullets were inconsistent in diameter some were .284, some .283, some .282, and in some places on some rounds even .281. These could be pushed in with your fingertip or even shaken into the case. Nosler replaced the bullets, but quality control must be way down at Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.