Sig P320 XTEN bear loads

mtJim

What are you using for defense/bear loads in your Sig P320 XTEN 10mm? I am having issues with mine feeding wide meplat bullets once I get six or more in the magazine. I have some reloaded Cutting Edge 190 grain solids and some factory HSM 200 grain hard cast that do the same thing. Once I get enough in the magazine for the first round to reach the cutouts for the mag catch, the edge of the bullet hangs in the cutout, which causes a failure to feed. When unloading the magazine with my thumb, when a bullet hangs up and stops the follower moving up, all the rounds above it just fall out. Five or less it feeds and fires flawlessly.

My reloads are at 1.257 OAL, and the factory HSM are 1.244. Do I just need to seat deeper?

I called Sig and they asked if I've had any problems shooting FMJ. I said no, they work; they replied it works how it should then.
Couldn't give me any recommendations for bear loads, just anything +P.

I'm shooting Buffalo Bore 220 grain hard cast, they measure 1.26 and they just sing thru my G20

(side note, have you tried them in more than one magazine?)

Lotta folks seem to have issues with this same thing. Some googling around brings up a handful of forums talking about sig magazines being jammomatics with heavy, wide bullets.

I have read a little on some of the other forums. Seems like it's a well documented issue. I still haven't found a solution though. One doesn't buy a 10mm to shoot 165 gr FMJ.

From what I can see folks haven't found a solution to it yet. I was looking at these for the same purpose once upon a time, as they feel better than a Glock to me, but the potential mag issues with no real fix turned me off for the moment.

I haven't had any jams with anything I've put through my x-ten. I've had no hangup with the 220 grain hardcase buffalo bore hardcase outdoorsman. Might give them a try as another suggested.

From what I can see folks haven't found a solution to it yet. I was looking at these for the same purpose once upon a time, as they feel better than a Glock to me, but the potential mag issues with no real fix turned me off for the moment.
I was unaware of any issues when I bought it. I held all the 10mms they had in the store and definitely liked the feel of the Sig best. It's worked flawless and shoots great when shooting factory FMJ to just get some rounds through it. Only discovered the issue when getting ready to carry in the hills for bears.

I haven't had any jams with anything I've put through my x-ten. I've had no hangup with the 220 grain hardcase buffalo bore hardcase outdoorsman. Might give them a try as another suggested.
Do you know the overall length or width of meplat on these?

I'm looking at my 320 (not a 10mm)and can understand your problem. Can you file the mag release so that it is only engaging the magazine from the side of the grip and not the front? Not as much engagement but if it'll catch the mag and leave room for the wider meplat then your in business. It's not a magazine issue so much as the shape of the mag release angle, right?

I have no experience with the Sig, but I have had issues with failure to feed from full magazines. Mine were caused by the sharp edges of the lips that hold the top brass. It caused enough friction to hold the brass so the bullet lifted up vertically and jammed in the top of the chamber. I filled the mag and slowly closed the slide by hand and watched how the bullet moved forward then pointed up. I then removed rounds and watched the half full mag work and saw the difference. I first tried to reduce the spring tension, and that worked, but still had some issues. When I polished the inside of the hold down lips, everything worked as it should and the bullet comes out of the magazine and rides the ramp into the chamber. See if that will help you.

Note, some manufactures say you need to cycle 300-500 rounds through their guns to get them broken in.

Buffalo bore 220's didn't function well at all in my sig, I run those in my Kimber. Double tap 200's hard cast run flawless in my XTen and that's what I run in it for bear protection.

Recent Posts