Sierra Vol 5 data

overbore

AS an older generation reloader, I have compared various editions of the same manuals and have found that , for example, Siera has reduced their "Max loads" by about 25% from earlier editions. Trial lawyers as targets, anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Overbore about

Overbore,
I have found that to be the case with Hodgdon also. Something else I noticied, they are listing the velocities for the "new" short mags (Win & Rem) as being higher than the old reliable 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. I would like to have one of the "short-fatties" just because I'd love to have one of everything anyway. But, sorry I don't buy that crap. Johnny K.

JohnnyK,
I couldn't agree with you more. I have done load development on several of these short mags and have yet to have one surpass my good "old" mag! I have had two however equal it, but they were so max that they couldn't hit a Buick at 200 yards. My friend did an improved version of the .300 short mag with a 50 degree shoulder and it may surpass it. We will be chronographing it soon and I'll post the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.