Sierra Vol 5 data

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by overbore, Dec 22, 2004.

1. overbore

overbore Well-Known Member

AS an older generation reloader, I have compared various editions of the same manuals and have found that , for example, Siera has reduced their "Max loads" by about 25% from earlier editions. Trial lawyers as targets, anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Overbore about

2. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Overbore,
    I have found that to be the case with Hodgdon also. Something else I noticied, they are listing the velocities for the "new" short mags (Win & Rem) as being higher than the old reliable 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. I would like to have one of the "short-fatties" just because I'd love to have one of everything anyway. But, sorry I don't buy that crap. Johnny K.

3. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

JohnnyK,
    I couldn't agree with you more. I have done load development on several of these short mags and have yet to have one surpass my good "old" mag! I have had two however equal it, but they were so max that they couldn't hit a Buick at 200 yards. My friend did an improved version of the .300 short mag with a 50 degree shoulder and it may surpass it. We will be chronographing it soon and I'll post the results.