Sierra Varmint 70gr vs 80gr

D Lee

Just joined the forum and glad to be here. I'm older and VERY long on rifle / reloading / hunting experience. New to coyote hunting.

Am setting up my .243 - waiting on my scope. I have 3 Sierra bulltets: 70 gr & 80 gr Varmint, and the 85gr dual purpose. 3 times a day I change my mind between the 70 gr and the 80 gr. Sierra rep recommended the 80 gr Varmint so I should probably stop right there. :)

For now - I don't see myself shooting beyond 400 - 450 yards. Your thoughts between the 70 gr & 80 gr?? This is for coyotes only so let's skip all the great reports about the 85. I prefer the 2 other bullets. Thanks.

And, yes, I know, it's my OCD to blame for asking this question.

Thanks.

D Lee

I would choose the 70 if it was me, with the thought you may be able to keep the bullet inside their body part of the time...........biggest factor for you "maybe" is which one the gun likes........if you can get all 3 or 5 shots in a group under a dime, that may be the one you use.

I would choose the 70 if it was me, with the thought you may be able to keep the bullet inside their body part of the time...........biggest factor for you "maybe" is which one the gun likes........if you can get all 3 or 5 shots in a group under a dime, that may be the one you use.

My sentiments exactly...accuracy, along with shot placement, will overcome the controversy of which bullet is better than another. And don't rule out one bullet over another (like the 85 grainers you mentioned). Case in point...my 22-250 doesn't like the normal pills (40g, 45g, 50g, 52g, etc), but it's shooting a 60 grainer the most accurate...AND...it's with a not-normal powder to boot (RL10x). But it's what my 22-250 likes the best.

One more thing...it's always mentioned that you first find the bullet your rifle likes. I always start by finding what powder my rifle likes. Once that powder is found (I have a system that works for me), you will develop a load very easily, with virtually any bullet of your choosing. Tighten the groups by tweaking the charge weights and then adjust your scope for the POI you want shoot. Then practice till you can shoot the eye out of a woodchuck at 100 yards...then no coyote will be safe within your 450 yard target limit.

Gents...thank you for the responses. MUCH appreciated.

dwinmeade...your second paragraph...that's what I've always done with my "big" game rifles before a planned and costly hunt. A very important and thoroughly enjoyable component of the whole trip experience. When the time came - all those many trips to the range paid off!

Waiting on my scope to arrive...using 6 reloading manuals and a lot of reading - I've done some exhaustive research on powders and have loaded up a few batches with all 3 bullets - using Win 760, IMR 4064 & Hodgdon Superformance. So I am getting ready.

Once in the field, I fully understand whose responsibility it is to put the bullet in the right place - regardless of rifle / bullet combination. And I already know all 3 bullets will be dependable. The OCD in me keeps vacillating between the 70 gr and 80 gr., just trying to weigh the various advantages and disadvantages of each. Which brings me to what you said - the rifle/load/bullet will ultimately tell me what's "best," >> accuracy first (after safety of course - always).

Thanks again.

Cheers.

I shoot 70 gr with varget out of 243. I come across a deal on 495 ct Berger 70gr hp discontinued bullets. So I bought them been shoot them. I also shot 70gr nosler bt on deer.

At those ranges, if you dont have to contend with much wind, I'd opt for the 70 grain. I like speed, but I have to admit, accuracy trumps speed.

I used to load 70gr hollow points and have taken bobcat and fox (very thin skinned) under 50 yards without a exit wound. Extremely accurate out to 200 yards but it keyholed at 300 yards. I used a 85gr spire point boat tail to take a caribou at 375 yards. Frontal shot, stumbled 5ft and dropped. I loved that rifle. My daughter has it now and it looks and shoots as well as the day I bought it back in 1975.....rem 700 Adl

Like others have said, I'd pick the one that shoots the best. If I didn't have both to test, I'd go with the 70 BK simply because you can drive it faster then the 80. If I was going to go with the 80, then I'd pick the
85 HPBT, but you don't want that bullet.

Last edited:
Just joined the forum and glad to be here. I'm older and VERY long on rifle / reloading / hunting experience. New to coyote hunting.

Am setting up my .243 - waiting on my scope. I have 3 Sierra bulltets: 70 gr & 80 gr Varmint, and the 85gr dual purpose. 3 times a day I change my mind between the 70 gr and the 80 gr. Sierra rep recommended the 80 gr Varmint so I should probably stop right there. :)

For now - I don't see myself shooting beyond 400 - 450 yards. Your thoughts between the 70 gr & 80 gr?? This is for coyotes only so let's skip all the great reports about the 85. I prefer the 2 other bullets. Thanks.

Thanks.

D Lee
I prefer heavy and as fast as possible ! .223=77gr smk
.224 Val 88gr eld-m
Really depends on twist,

Thanks.

D Lee
Your rifle may make the choice. Let us know. Good luck!

If the scope would get here...

Anyway...I have both loaded. Hard to argue with the extra speed the 70 gr brings (3,500 fps +/-) and especially with my 20" barrel. Maybe lose approx 100 fps which I have NO problem with. And, in the end, group size will get the nod.

I'm cheering for the 70 gr but a lot of time on the bench over the years with other calibers and bullets keeps whispering the 80 gr will win out. We'll see and I'll definitely post the results.

45 gr Win 760 w/ the 80 gr at 3,300 fps is the load I'm working towards. 70 gr? Haven't finalized yet. Start up loads with both are ready.

Thank you... very much appreciated.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.