Sierra GameChanger 140 Grain 6.5 No Blood Trail

Is Speer owned by Federal? Speer's website looks very similar to Federal's site and the Speer Gold Dot looks a lot like a Federal Fusion.
I might be wrong but I think Speer, Federal and CCI are all under the same (ATK?) umbrella. The Gold Dot's I'm shooting have the coating on them and the box of .277 130gr Fusion's I have do not, they do look similar though, kinda have a protected point. They don't seem to blow up and definitely penetrate.

Heavy 6.5 bullets, 135 and up, like 270, 140 and up, have high sectional densities. The lighter bullets moving faster carry more energy and make bigger exit wounds.

I am shooting the 145gr eldx in my 270. Earlier this year I shot a doe with one and lost her with no blood trail. We found her three days later 300 yards from where I shot her. Shot was about 60 yards and the bullet went through both lungs. The exit wound was not much bigger than the entrance wound. The bullet passed through her and struck another doe standing hidden about twenty yards behind her. That deer looked like a murder scene. The bullet entered behind the shoulder and exited in front of the hip leaving an enormous exit wound but it had to travel through two deer to do so. The second deer fell were she was shot, recovered.

Fast forward to 6:30 this morning and I shot a second doe at 199 yards, which we verified with a range finder, through the heart. Bang flop!!! The bullet eviscerated the heart but failed even at that range to expand much. Exit wound was not much bigger than a nickel. The 145 eldx is just to much bullet for a 100-150lbs whitetail. The sectional density is to great for shots inside 200 yards. They are great bullets for elk but to much for small to midsize deer. Bullet selection is critical.

While it may seem counter intuitive to do so, because in America "more is moe better" 😜and "most is most better"🤣, lighter bullets traveling at higher velocities make better since and generate more energy inside 300 yards. If you don't anticipate having to shoot beyond 400 I would lighten up on the bullet, not just change it for something else of equal weight. In 6.5 I would drop down to a 130 or less. I am going to load some 130 Bergers this evening and will most likely hunt the rest of the year with them. I can't speak for the Seirras but the eldx is a great bullet for long range or elk or larger game but the heavy 145s are just to much for a whitetail.

This post right here stuck with me and I picked up a box of 129 grain SSTs. I have a ladder to test with Superformance to find the best charge. The SST should expand rapidly without zipping right through like the high sectional density bullets.

@ General,..
Agree, the SST's look good, with a few, of, the YouTube Tests that, show them, Holding together and "Mushrooming", Nicely with, GOOD Penetration !
I will be Testing them, in my New, 6.5 Creed, too ( 140 Grain ) as soon as, I can find some for, Deer.
Sold on, the 140 grain, Classic Hunter, Berger's for my .270 WSM @ 3,185 FPS for Elk, tho and won't be,.. changing !
IT Kills like,.. the "Hammer of Thor" ! NO,.. Blood, NO, complete Pass thru, just,.. DRT !

Last edited:
@ General,..
Agree, the SST's look good, with a few, of, the YouTube Tests that, show them, Holding together and "Mushrooming", Nicely with, GOOD Penetration !
I will be Testing them, in my New, 6.5 Creed, too ( 140 Grain ) as soon as, I can find some for, Deer.
Sold on, the 140 grain, Classic Hunter, Berger's for my .270 WSM @ 3,185 FPS for Elk, tho and won't be,.. changing !
IT Kills like,.. the "Hammer of Thor" ! NO,.. Blood, NO, complete Pass thru, just,.. DRT !
The 140s are in stock at sportsmans warehouse