145 ELDX or 140 Sierra Gamechanger in 270 Win

Saskquatch6

I have to find replacement loads for my 270 Win - been using 140 Nosler AB's and BT's but no luck finding any up here and my supply is almost out. I I've just come across a small shop with a good supply of 145 ELDX's and 140 Sierra Gamechangers. I have used the old Game Kings and found them too soft for the velocities in my rifles. No experience with the ELDX. Will be using them for northern mulies, whitetails, antelope (and paper). For those with experience with one or the other or both - which of these 2 bullets would you recommend?

Last edited:
My M700 .270 did not like the ELDX at all but loved the Gamechangers. I have now killed three coyotes, three antelope and a large muley buck with the Gamechangers and would say that they are much stouter than the Gamekings of old. They tend to perform more like an Accubond. My daughter has killed a muley doe and three antelope with the Gamechanger in her 6.5 Creedmoor. Combined, we have recovered one bullet in total.

This one punched an antelope doe corner to corner at around 220 yards.
IMG_2425.jpeg

I shot this buck at 70 yards, quartered slightly away, and a steep down angle. The bullet entered high on the right side ribs and exited the left shoulder, breaking heavy bone.
IMG_9005.jpeg

By the exit hole, I am assuming that the bullet broke in two. Considering the impact velocity and having it hit bone, I will take it.
69074968173__E5748518-1491-4DB0-BA27-8605A02180D6.jpeg

I have killed two deer at short range with ELDX, (7mm Rem Mag), and had a front-row seat to a 50-yard shot on a black bear with an ELDx.(300 WSM) They did the trick, but the entry wound looked like a grenade went off. I lost a lot of meat on a near side shoulder of a buck when the point of impact was behind it with an ELDX. The bear had an entry wound the size of a softball. On shots at 200 yards to 350 the ELDX has been less explosive and worked to my preference.

The Gamechangers have been solid performers for me so far. Having used the old Gamekings since I killed my first bull elk with a 270 grain Gameking in a .375 H&H Mag (1993) and 140's in 7mm Rem Mag and .284 Winchester, the Tipped Gamekings seem to be a good bit tougher in my observations.

Obviously, others may have had different results. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
As others have basically stated the eldx seem to be softer and their "lock" ring doesn't seem to do a whole lot to keep them together very well. That said my wife is 2 for 2 with the 145 eldx on cow elk at 220 and 440 yards. They do come apart more. She was using my 270 Sherman short with an 8 twist barrel. I used the same rifle on a cow elk with the 175 game changer at 740 yards a few years ago and it is a much stouter bullet than the eldx. I'd personally keep impact velocity at or above 2000fps with the gamechanger... at least the way the 175 looked after recovery.

X5 I've used both and the Gamechanger is a much harder bullet. The eld-x is for long range 400 yds and longer, whereas I feel like the Sierra is not going to have much of a wound channel below say 2100 fps. So, depending on what you're hunt and at what range will make your decision for you. They both shot very accurate out of my three 270's.

Thanks for the replies guys - my max range on game is 500 yds occasionally stretched to 600, but usually quite a bit closer. I've had some of the softer bullets from various makes grenade on entry on some close shots and the BT would fall into this category. So I work up loads with them and then fine tune AB loads for game. I've found AB's to provide the combination of expansion and penetration (and good BC) I prefer - so would like to find a replacement with similar performance. My only experience with the Gamechanger on game was a 130 from my 6.5x55AI, but it was a close neck shot and not really an indication of how the bullet would perform with a heart/lung hit. Based on comments above, it sounds like that in bullets of approximately same weight the Sierra might provide performance closer to the AB than the ELDX?

Last edited:
Accubonds are tough to beat! I have almost 2 boxes of the 145 eld-x I have no hesitation selling if someone really wants em. And one box of the 150 grain SST's someone gifted to me for Christmas. Was a nice thought but I'm not a fan of SST's over 3000 fps. Pretty hard on meat.

By the way I now shoot Sierra 140 gamechangers out of my 270 wby mag. I went from the ballistic tips then to the Sierra's. The GC are very stout and did surprisingly well on some axis bucks and feral bulls here in Hawaii. The sierras is very accurate and hold together very well. Good luck!

Thanks for providing all your experience and opinions guys. I ran expected load data for the 140 Sierra GC through ballistics program and it shows the bullet would retain about 2100 fps at 600 yds - and that's perfect for my needs. From what you've said and @cornstalker 's pic of close-range shot, I'm going to give the Sierra a try - thinking they'll most closely match the AB's performance. Appreciate your help on this!

@Saskquatch6

Here is drifters with some .277 Nosler 140 gr accubonds. Good luck brother Aloha!

I just purchased 2 boxes of 50 140 Nosler Accubonds ,277 from Graf out of Mo. I got them today and I just finished a load for my Win Model 70 in 270WSM using Staball HD powder. I am eager to find out how they shoot. I have used them over the years with different powders.