SHV F1 vs Viper PST

Shoalwater

Searched but can find any first hand comparisons on the glass. I am looking at the Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50 and the Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50. I'm not really worried about reliability, function, or features, as I know both are quality scopes in this price range. I'm just wondering which one has the better glass? I've been leaning towards the Vortex simply because of the weight difference and this will go on a long range hunting rifle that will be carried, but I really want whichever has the best glass. Anyone have first hand experience with these two scopes side by side?

I have used the Viper PST 4-16x50 next to the NF SHV 3-10. The glass on the NF was better to my eyes. The weight of the SHV 3-10 is the same as the PST 4-16, but both of those are lighter than the SHV 4-14.

It is very tough for me to mount a scope much over 20 ounces on a hunting rifle. I think the 4-16 PST is perfectly sufficient glass to hunt with on a long range rifle.

My long range hunting rifle has a VX6 3-18x50, and a strong new contender would be the Vortex Razor HD LH. A buddy has this new vortex on order, and I cannot wait to get a look through the glass.

My PST's replaced my Leupolds and that was nice, now the SHV is replacing my PST's. Light weight is in right now, I'm lightening everything after sheep hunting with a 14 lb rifle for 3 months but not changing the optic!

I don't have the F1, but I do have the 4-14 SHV and the Vortex PST FFP 4-16.
The NF blows the Vortex out of the water glass wise. The SHV is tough to beat for the money IMO...

-Mike

I have had 3 NXS NF and 3 SHV NF plus a LeupyVX6 and purchased a Vortex Viper HSLR it does not even come close to the others I mentioned. Just bought a SHV F1 to replace the vortex

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.