Viper PST FFP vs. SFP

Michealb

I decided a couple weeks ago that I'm going to go ahead and go with the Vortex Viper PST 4x16x50. Now my dilemma is that I don't know to go with FFP or SFP. I will be using it on a hunting/target gun. I hunt at fairly close range anywhere from 50-200 yards with the occasional coyote and ground hog out to 300. Target shooting I shoot anywhere from 500-1000yards but do so quite frequently. I don't use elevation holdover, just windage holdover And just dial for elevation. I have read so much info about FFP vs. SFP and am still unsure as to what I should go with for my needs.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

I use a 6-24-50pst in ffp. It's my first ffp I've owned. If you plan to dial elevation, Id just go with the sfp. Shot my first deer this year with the ffp at 455 yards. Either way , their both nice optics.

My preference is SFP for hunting. Last year I tried a Steiner T5Xi FFP 3-15x50 what I found is that the reticle was to thin at low magnification. 5x was where I felt the reticle was thick enough to easily see when making a quick shot. But I also felt 5x is a bit to much for quickly finding the animals in the scope.

The reticle on the PST is illuminated so you can see the thin reticle in low light, no problem. The FFP model will allow you to estimate range at any magnification setting, quickly, then you can hold over for quick shots or dial to est range when you have more time. My current procedure is shooting known distant targets with a drop chart and SFP scope. I dial to the distance and have only a few times used holdovers on the reticle. I have a PST FFP arriving any day now and will start learning how to estimate distance to targets with it. I may still buy a good range finder.
If you shot less than 400 yards, you can save money and just get a SFP scope, very little holdover required. If you shoot 600 yards plus at unknown distant targets, a FFP scope can benefit you if used correctly. If you are somewhere in the middle, scope options, price and user preference will more likely determine what to get.

I decided a couple weeks ago that I'm going to go ahead and go with the Vortex Viper PST 4x16x50. Now my dilemma is that I don't know to go with FFP or SFP. I will be using it on a hunting/target gun. I hunt at fairly close range anywhere from 50-200 yards with the occasional coyote and ground hog out to 300. Target shooting I shoot anywhere from 500-1000yards but do so quite frequently. I don't use elevation holdover, just windage holdover And just dial for elevation. I have read so much info about FFP vs. SFP and am still unsure as to what I should go with for my needs.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

This boils down to personal preference and your intended purpose.

[ame]https://youtu.be/4XgugJSqpoE?t=1[/ame]

Most of my scopes are SFPs but 2 (Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP Varmint reticle and SWFA 5-20x50 HD FFP) of the last 3 scope purchases were FFPs and I am enjoying transitioning to FFP without any problems.

You also need to consider reticle designs, the video below is a prime example, having said that, there are members here that are very please with their scopes for their intended purpose ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/9Gl3d0pxkvI?t=45[/ame]

As RAT807 noted, an illuminated reticle will mitigate that problem.

Good luck!

Ed

If you shot less than 400 yards, you can save money and just get a SFP scope, very little holdover required. If you shoot 600 yards plus at unknown distant targets, a FFP scope can benefit you if used correctly. If you are somewhere in the middle, scope options, price and user preference will more likely determine what to get.

I thought it was the other way around? I have heard lots of people saying that the ffp covers a larger portion of the target than what the sfp does. I like the looks and usability of the ffp. Granted I will almost never use holdover, I still like how it works. My only concern with the ffp is that if I'm shooting at 1000 yards will I be able to see my target or will the crosshairs cover it up?

The FFP reticle will cover more target at 1000. I believe that is why my Steiner had such a thin reticle so at longer ranges it worked great.
From what I understand about FFP and I may be wrong so if I am please correct me .
In order to use it for accurate ranging of unknown distances you would need to know the EXACT size of the target. Which it is common to know exact size of targets but on animals and landmarks that would be relevant while hunting I don't know how one would determine exact sizes.
I can see the FFP with one of those fancy reticles being real nice for target shooting where you can spot your hits have a target of known size and want to use your reticle for adjusting for a quick follow up shot.
As for lighted reticle it didn't help much at low power with my Steiner not to mention you gotta turn it on to use it which I never remembered to do while hunting when a quick shot presented itself.
One other thing is that SFP scopes usually have a magnification setting"typically highest power" where the reticle would work just like a FFP.

My $.02....SFP is more then adequate for hunting and most other applications.
The way I look at is this....when I'm stillhunting/stalking,or even on stand,my scope is ALWAYS cranked down to lowest magnification.Obvious advantage of quick target acquisition for any close range shots that present themselves.Most cartridges that I or anybody else on this forum will be shooting require very little if any holdover out to 300y.....hold on hair/not air....dialling in for a precise MOA shot isn't necessary at that range,you have a 12" minimum vital area target to hit.
That said....any shot that presents itself at a distance of 300y and beyond,or even beyond 100y(?)....99% of the time there's plenty of time with unaware game to crank up the magnification,typically to the highest level where the SFP reticle is calibrated for and becomes useful as intended.
In 30+ years of hunting,mostly with 3-9x optics,I can't recall a single situation or shot where I've elected to use the midrange mag levels(5x,6x,7x etc).....it's ALWAYS either cranked full down to 3x or full up to 9x....never in between.
So that said.....the whole concept that SFP is some sort of disadvantage because it only works at full power is nonsense IMHO,because any shot that I'll be taking at distance, the scope is gonna be cranked to max magnification anyhow,and anything closer doesn't require any kind of holdover.

...also,just add to previous post....if one is REALLY that concerned with the actual values that your mildots/hash marks etc on your 4-16x SFP for example represent on 4x,it's really just a matter of putting in some time viewing targets,taking some measurements,and creating a "dope chart" of sorts to tape on your buttstock/lens covers or wutever?
ie;perhaps your 1moa dot calibrated at 16x is actually 8MOA on 4x...etc,etc?
Again,it doesn't concern me in the least,as any shot that's long enough to require dialing in elevation and or windage,my scope is gonna be cranked to full power anyhow.
Same goes for using my reticle for ranging.i consider myself to be pretty proficient at simply eyeballing/guesstimating range quite accurately out to around 300y or so....beyond 300 is much more difficult,especially in open terrain/fields etc...ie;is that buck 325y or is he 375?
Regardless,if for some reason my RF is unreliable,and/ or I'm using my reticle to calculate,estimate,verify range...again,it's gonna be cranked up to the full power mag that the reticle is calibrated for anyhow.

The viper pst reticle thickness for ffp is .12 moa. The thickness for sfp is .078 moa.
So yes the ffp will cover more... by .042 at full magnification. Not a ton to use as a selling point imo.

I've had a couple ffp scopes and just sold my last one. I'll be replacing it with a sfp. Liked it well enough, but never really saw a great benefit for myself.

The way I look at is this....when I'm stillhunting/stalking,or even on stand,my scope is ALWAYS cranked down to lowest magnification.Obvious advantage of quick target acquisition for any close range shots that present themselves.Most cartridges that I or anybody else on this forum will be shooting require very little if any holdover out to 300y.....hold on hair/not air....dialling in for a precise MOA shot isn't necessary at that range,you have a 12" minimum vital area target to hit.
That said....any shot that presents itself at a distance of 300y and beyond,or even beyond 100y(?)....99% of the time there's plenty of time with unaware game to crank up the magnification,typically to the highest level where the SFP reticle is calibrated for and becomes useful as intended.
In 30+ years of hunting,mostly with 3-9x optics,I can't recall a single situation or shot where I've elected to use the midrange mag levels(5x,6x,7x etc).....it's ALWAYS either cranked full down to 3x or full up to 9x....never in between.
So that said.....the whole concept that SFP is some sort of disadvantage because it only works at full power is nonsense IMHO,because any shot that I'll be taking at distance, the scope is gonna be cranked to max magnification anyhow,and anything closer doesn't require any kind of holdover.
Great post. I an the NP-R2&1 from NF for a long time and never had any issues. Short range=low power, LR= Highest power. I have shot game to 450 with a 300RUM on low power and shot game at SR on high power with 3.5x15 and 5.5x22.
SFP VS FFP=6 one way 1/2 dozen the other. Either way is incredibly effective for game.
I think a lot of the push to FFP is SNIPER FORUM related AND scope companies wanting to sell more scopes for more $$$.
If I have to use my reticle to range I am probably not going to risk a bad hit on game, also game varies in size A LOT. A guy shooting steel or humans will RISK a bad hit. Personally I take care of my RF and make sure the batteries are up and have NEVER had an issue. If environmentals are so bad the RF wont work.....is anything else gonna work either to the point of being certain of dropping a shot on a living critter...coyotes excluded of course.
The SFP hi/lo power setup is hard to beat for short or long range.

I have both SFP and FFP Vipers. The reticle in the FFPs have never been a problem in my experience at either end of the mag spectrum. That fine center dot is way smaller than the targets I shoot, and for fast shooting at closeup critters on low mag the fine details in the center effectively become a plain cross backed up by the thicker outer section. Wind holds with the reticle work with either type, but you have to pay more attention to avoid a mistake using SFP. As has been said by many, in the end it is just personal preference. Try both if you can, then decide which you are most comfortable using.

I agree ! I would rather use a Rangefinder & Click up for the longer shots and if you don't have time for that you may not have the time to set and judge the wind and everything you need to do for that shot. And for older eyes in dim light the FFP is not good for me. I looked at both late in the afternoon and the PST SFP was much better for my application.

I just got rid of a viper pst ffp 6x24x50 and I'm not a fan of ffp anymore .i dial up all my long shot and see no point in ffp .i hate how much of the target the reticle cover up on max zoom .i ended up getting a nightforce 5x20x56 shv sfp moar illuminated and love it .with the flat shooting rounds we have today and range finders I find an ffp reticle useless and a hindrance to me for hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.