Shoulder Set Back

TennJed

Hi, I've been reloading for a very long time but just recently became addicted to a more precision shooting experience. I've been researching shoulder set back/neck sizing. I completely understand neck sizing and bought a Hornady Match Grade Neck Size Die (uses bushings) in 308 Win. I have lot's of fire formed brass to reload. On researching, I've become confused because it seems a Neck size die won't set the shoulder back like I thought it would. The only alternative seems to buy a full length neck bushing resize die. I also start with my 30-06. I know I'm missing something basic here so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, I truly enjoy this forum because of all the very real world tried and true advice. Thanks in advance.

There is also the option of using a body die to size all but neck, then size neck. Using a neck die will lead to needing a full length die or a body die, at some point.

If you don't neck turn, a FL die is better overall. Then set neck tension with a mandrel, that leaves you with a concentric inside neck. Discrepancy in neck wall thickness is pushed to outside, where using a bushing pushes variance inside.

Since you already bought a neck die you pretty much have to buy a body die now to size your bodies and bump shoulders back. You just made it a 2 step process is all.
I did the same thing by not reading carefully enough. My Creedmoor now has a neck die and a body die. Simple goof up...

One thing to understand, neck sizing ONLY is not more precise than Partial FL Sizing.
I once used 3 methods to size my brass. A Neck size bushing die adjusted to only size part of the neck, a body die to bump shoulders and body only, then a mandrel.
Nowadays, I use neck honed FL dies and a mandrel.
Seating and neck tension are more important (tested to be correct) than the die used to size the brass.
If this is for a hunting rig, I recommend Partial FL sizing, you don't want a case stuck in the chamber. It's up to you if you want to use a mandrel for final neck tension, OR get a Forster die set with the neck honed to suit your brass and mandrel.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.