Shoulder bumping technique

There is nothing wrong with taking a little off either if needed. You can choose your own technique but cannot logically say it's a bad habit

Again, I form/size cases for short chambers; how is that possible?

I size cases for long chambers; that would be a chamber that is long from the shoulder of the chamber to the case head with the same dies I use to size cases for short chambers. I determine the length of the chamber with one head space gage, I use a field reject length gage.

I do not get flustered with my dies and shell holders because they will not do what they are supposed to do.

F. Guffey

Again, I form/size cases for short chambers; how is that possible?

I size cases for long chambers; that would be a chamber that is long from the shoulder of the chamber to the case head with the same dies I use to size cases for short chambers. I determine the length of the chamber with one head space gage, I use a field reject length gage.

I do not get flustered with my dies and shell holders because they will not do what they are supposed to do.

F. Guffey
Not sure why it would hurt either application but maybe I'm missing something. I don't build rifles with a field gauge but have blown out shoulders on some cartridges

Not sure why it would hurt either application but maybe I'm missing something. I don't build rifles with a field gauge but have blown out shoulders on some cartridges

Mram, we are not talking about building a rifle with a field reject length gage, we are talking about measure a chamber with a field reject length. A man with skill can measure the length of a chamber with a field reject length gage. I understand there are many that have to have three go gages.

I am the fan of forming first and then firing.

F. Guffey

Mram, we are not talking about building a rifle with a field reject length gage, we are talking about measure a chamber with a field reject length. A man with skill can measure the length of a chamber with a field reject length gage. I understand there are many that have to have three go gages.

I am the fan of forming first and then firing.

F. Guffey
I'll bite. Explain why you would measure a chamber with a field gauge that was not headspaced to that measurement when chambering. I'm really curious because it obviously wont fit.

What do you mean by forming then firing?

I'm really curious because it obviously wont fit.

I will promise you I do not clean my rifle barrels like you clean yours, same for chamber casting and then there is the use of gages. I will promise you we will not agree on do-nuts. I say I have cases that will never develop do-nuts, I have chambers that , by design. will develop do-nuts when fired and I have cases that will develop do-nuts when I form the case.

It is obvious to you; it wont fit. It is obvious to me it will fit. Again, I had rather have a gage that is too long than a gage that is short. I have converted go-gage to 'go to infinity gage'. It was obvious to me the modified gage would work.

This is not the first time this subject has been mentioned; the first time was in the mid 40's meaning there is nothing new.

F. Guffey

I will promise you I do not clean my rifle barrels like you clean yours, same for chamber casting and then there is the use of gages. I will promise you we will not agree on do-nuts. I say I have cases that will never develop do-nuts, I have chambers that , by design. will develop do-nuts when fired and I have cases that will develop do-nuts when I form the case.

It is obvious to you; it wont fit. It is obvious to me it will fit. Again, I had rather have a gage that is too long than a gage that is short. I have converted go-gage to 'go to infinity gage'. It was obvious to me the modified gage would work.

This is not the first time this subject has been mentioned; the first time was in the mid 40's meaning there is nothing new.

F. Guffey
Based on your age, I'll be respectful and say God bless you Sir and leave it at that.

It is obvious to you; it wont fit. It is obvious to me it will fit. Again, I had rather have a gage that is too long than a gage that is short.

Again, there are those that insist on three gages, that would be the go, no-go and the field length gage. If the difference in length between a minimum length/full size case for the 30/06 is .014" shorter than a field reject length chamber the difference/clearance is .014". When checking the length of a chamber I want to know the length of the chamber in thousandths. I can do that with a field reject length gage, the go-gage length gage will give me one length, the no go-gage will give me all of the lengths between no go-gage length and minimum length in thousandths. The field reject length gage will give me the length of the chamber in thousandths from field reject length to minimum length in thousandths.

To me all of this is obvious and very clear, again I do not need a chamber gage.

F. Guffey

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.