Shoulder Bumping

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 300 ultra, Feb 15, 2011.

1. 300 ultra

300 ultra Well-Known Member

I am looking for a new shoulder bump gauge for full length resizing. What do you recommend. I have looked at the Wilson case gauge and RCBS Precision Mic. Pros and cons. Suggestions?

2. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

I've got RCBS precision mics , they work good but cost $50-$60 each . these are cartridge specific . I've been thinking about buying a tool sold by Larry Willis , innovative technologies . it looks like it would work on about anything ,and it cost about $90 . Jim

3. fj40mojo

fj40mojo Well-Known Member

I'm using the Hornady LNL Headspace Gauge Bushings and am happy with the results. I already owned the LNL COAL kit so I purchased just the bushings and not the kit. Combined with a quality Caliper this is a good tool. I've looked at the Larry Willis tool which is essentially a digital height guage. If you had access to a mill and some knowledge of how to operate it you could build the same thing for a lot less money.

4. cabinfever

cabinfever Well-Known Member

I use the sinclair insert style comparator. Very accurate and easy to use and at $24 for the comparator body and insert it's a good value.

enlarge
    Additional Views
    • [​IMG]

Sinclair Insert Style Bullet Comparator

5. cornchuck

cornchuck Well-Known Member

I too have the Hornady LNL Headspace gauge and a few RCBS gauges too. One thing I like about the Hornady set is it comes with multiple bushings for different calibers. With RBCS, you get only one caliber and they are costly.

Jason gun)

6. 338winmag

338winmag Well-Known Member

All good suggestions. I actually built a LNL COAL kit but it was just not as good as the real thing since I did not have the true necessary tools to build.

I have Larry Willis Digital Headspace Gauge and I think it is one of the better things since sliced bread. In addition I use the a LNL COAL kit with the gauge for bullet seating. Because even the ogive varies almost as much as tip measurement, I believe the two tools are your money's worth for single and multiple cartridge reloads.

They just work too good for me anyway.

338winmag

7. 300 ultra

300 ultra Well-Known Member

I looked at the Larry willis headspace gauge and it looks kind of finicky. I like to keep it as simple as possible. I have the Hornady Bullet comp set and I didnt even think of getting the bushings for Headspace. Im a Idiot.