Shoulder Bumping

300 ultra

I am looking for a new shoulder bump gauge for full length resizing. What do you recommend. I have looked at the Wilson case gauge and RCBS Precision Mic. Pros and cons. Suggestions?

I've got RCBS precision mics , they work good but cost $50-$60 each . these are cartridge specific . I've been thinking about buying a tool sold by Larry Willis , innovative technologies . it looks like it would work on about anything ,and it cost about $90 . Jim

I'm using the Hornady LNL Headspace Gauge Bushings and am happy with the results. I already owned the LNL COAL kit so I purchased just the bushings and not the kit. Combined with a quality Caliper this is a good tool. I've looked at the Larry Willis tool which is essentially a digital height guage. If you had access to a mill and some knowledge of how to operate it you could build the same thing for a lot less money.

I use the sinclair insert style comparator. Very accurate and easy to use and at $24 for the comparator body and insert it's a good value.

enlarge
Additional Views

Sinclair Insert Style Bullet Comparator

I too have the Hornady LNL Headspace gauge and a few RCBS gauges too. One thing I like about the Hornady set is it comes with multiple bushings for different calibers. With RBCS, you get only one caliber and they are costly.

Jason gun)

All good suggestions. I actually built a LNL COAL kit but it was just not as good as the real thing since I did not have the true necessary tools to build.

I have Larry Willis Digital Headspace Gauge and I think it is one of the better things since sliced bread. In addition I use the a LNL COAL kit with the gauge for bullet seating. Because even the ogive varies almost as much as tip measurement, I believe the two tools are your money's worth for single and multiple cartridge reloads.

They just work too good for me anyway.

338winmag

I looked at the Larry willis headspace gauge and it looks kind of finicky. I like to keep it as simple as possible. I have the Hornady Bullet comp set and I didnt even think of getting the bushings for Headspace. Im a Idiot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.