Should I reshape my Savage F Class stock.

WildBillG

I have a Savage F Class rifle all factory except barrel. What I would like to know is should I give the the bottom of the butt stosk a slight angle for shooting off the bench. The factory stock is straight across and makes it hard to fine adjust reticle hieght on the targets. Any advice or ideas would be great.

I was thinking that too. Was thinking putting a slight angle on the factory laminate would be and do it your self. I can get a Bell & Carlson brand new for 700 more to my liking. Do you have any idea what the factory stock would be worth. My thought is it will be a tough sell.

It will be a tough sell probably unless you find the right person. I would modify the one you have and go with it. Don't shoot F-Class myself so can't give much advice.

What is the reasoning behind the F Diass stock being straight. I don't shoot F Class so I think putting an angle on it will be benificial for me.

No need to alter the bottom of the stock. Just use a three point front rest and adjust the rear leg screw for fine tuning your height.

If you are using a bi-pod it is more difficult but not impossible. I sometimes shoot my Shehane tracker with a bi-pod and you are correct, it requires a bit of effort to get it on target. A soft rear bag is better than a the rigid rear bag with a V in it.

If you still want to angle the rear stock it shouldn't be too hard to do. Rasp the angle then sand.

The stock is built for shooting off a front rest and rear bag. It is purposely designed to have very little drop at the toe to track near perfectly and not give vertical. My first suggestion is to learn to setup the rifle and use it as is. My second suggestion would be to sell it and buy a stock that better suits you. If this is on a Savage Flcass rifle reshaping or even replacing the stock defeats the purpose and functionality of the rifle.

I never thought of adjusting the rear screw on my front bag. I will give that a try that is very simple to do. As for ruining the gun by fooling with it I am not one of those guys that gets rid of a gun once he owns it. There have been a few I did but I really have to hate the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.