Should i moly my bullets

bigrich954rr

I will be getting my 338 whisper in 2 days. Its a custom rifle built by Gap using a surgeon action with a mike rock barrel 5r 6 twist. all BO metal in A5 stock. any ways it will be shooting MK 300 at 1000 fps. I was told to moly the bullets just in case to help so they wont get stuck in the barrel. Cause of the fast twist rate which makes it harder on the bullets. Should i moly the barrel or the bullet or both.

I've had my go-round with moly, and decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Also there was the issue of moly maybe promoting rust in CM barrels. JMHO.
I have no Whisper experience, whatsoever. But, it would seem that if you're getting 1000fps, you're not gonna stick a bullet. Could just be my ignorance showing. I'm gonna hide & watch what others say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I will be getting my 338 whisper in 2 days. Its a custom rifle built by Gap using a surgeon action with a mike rock barrel 5r 6 twist. all BO metal in A5 stock. any ways it will be shooting MK 300 at 1000 fps. I was told to moly the bullets just in case to help so they wont get stuck in the barrel. Cause of the fast twist rate which makes it harder on the bullets. Should i moly the barrel or the bullet or both.

[/ QUOTE ]
A bullet going 1000 fps getting stuck in the barrel is difficult for me to comprehend. I personally do not and would not Molly coat anything.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Some do, some don't, I moly both barrel and bullets with a Necco kit. Thought about trying titanium disulfide. They say that it is even higher temp.
db

I think you ment the bullet would be moving faster than 1000fps, right? That sounds pretty slow or is that correct.

Wildcat

Yes it will be going 1000 fps so it stays under the speed of sound it a 7mm remington BR case necked up to 338 cal. they sound like a 22rimfire being shot and only the pin drop with a silincer. but with 600 lbs of enegery at 300 yards. I still dont really know how to load this thing. thinking about low gains of pistol powder. maybe starting with 12 gains of red dot.

keep us posted with how you like it.

I have been pondering either a 300 whisper or a 338 whisper. I talked to Shawn Carlock, and he seems to like the 338's a lot more. So I'm leaning that way. I just have to buy another supppressor now...

There is a lot of reloading info online for the whispers, and it seems to me that a lot of it is with pistol powders.

don't have any of the link's to it offhand, but do a google search and you'll find it.

keep us posted, and if possible would love to see some pics!!

yes i will be shooting the 300gr MK
I have a chrono and i have a ruff idea on loads. but there not much info out there for the 338 whisper. When i get a good load made up this should be a really fun gun. I will keep you guys posted on how i like this im hoping to stay moa to 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.