Should I bed the action my Weatherby Terramark? (Pics included).

The gun has around 700 rounds through the tube with very minimal throat erosion, if any. I have never fired more than 2 shots in rapid succession, never more than 3 in 5 minutes. I usually let it cool about 2-3 minutes between shots. Anyways, it began to develop a cold bore flyer and string groups horizontally.
That's the info we needed to hear. I'm assuming you've cleaned thoroughly for carbon and copper? That leaves a loose scope, loose mount, loose action screw, or a 'developing' bedding issue as the most likely issue. I would think a scope going bad would be more apparent than just showing a 'cold bore' flier.

Bed away! Let us know if that works or the flier remains post-bedding.

Last edited:
That's the info we needed to hear. I'm assuming you've cleaned thoroughly for carbon and copper? That leaves a loose scope, loose mount, loose action screw, or a 'developing' bedding issue as the most likely issue. I would think a scope going bad would be more apparent than a 'cold bore' flier.

Bed away! Let us know if that works or the flier remains post-bedding.

Yes, I broke the gun in accordingly and only use KG products. Even after 20 firings, it has almost no signs of copper wear. I usually clean the gun after 25-30 rounds. Scope rail is a ken farell 20 moa base (W/ recoil lug) and that is epoxy bedded. Rings are nightforce steel rings securing a Nightforce SHV 5x20x56 scope.

Update! Everything went well with the bedding process. The gun shoots extremely well and has a complete stress free relationship between the barreled action and the stock. Note - the original action screws were only screwing in for 2-3 threads and I did install slightly longer stainless action screws. Thanks again everyone for their input!

Vette, probably found them locally, a local bolt/nut/screw company has Allen head screws in stainless which fit the Wby actions, they need to be shortened though. I've installed them on almost all my rifles. Great owner, show him an example and he finds it for me.

Where did you find longer action screws with the proper heads?

Fastenal. They are SS Allen key button screws. I had to cut them down to size and I used a drill press with a file to get the heads to fit! About 20minutes of work, but they came out great!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.