Shotgun Shell Reloading Question

PingGong3

I am looking at getting in to reloading shotgun shells. I am very familiar with reloading for a rifle but no experience with shotgun shells. Do shotgun reloaders have dies to alternate between 20ga and 12ga? What all would I need? I want just the basics to reload for duck and Turkey. Thanks.

I'm only familiar with my Ponsness Warren 375 Du-o-matic reloader, but yes it has different hull sizing dies for each gauge as well as straight wall vs tapered wall hulls. The dies/shell holders do resize the brass or steel at the base of the shell.

I used to load a lot of shotgun. They don't have dies like we do for metallic reloading. Basically, you have a dedicated reloader for each gauge. Swapping between them would be a PITA and I'm not sure how it would work unless you're also changing the size of the base/shell carrier (where the hull rides). As above, I've only used MEC machines. Progressive machines get very messy when, not if, you make a mistake (i.e. - both shot and powder all over the machine, bench and floor).

The other big difference from metallic is there are no pressure signs. Don't deviate from established recipes or send some off for pressure testing. Don't swap components like primers and wads.

Buy 2 Mec 600jr loaders. There are dies to convert from 12 to 20 gauge.https://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-5-die-set

I switched between 20 & 28 for skeet loads. You do NOT want to do this. Change over time is long and hard. Even for an expert. I would load 250 shells at a time, then switch.

I now have 4 Mec 600jr. 12,20,28 & 410.

Use exact published load data.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310-162535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310-162535_Chrome.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reading the online instructions for the press should help understand the reloading process.
https://www.mecoutdoors.com/owners-manuals-sr
See- "How to reload shotshells" at bottom of page.

After the press is adjusted for 1 load, using same components, very little adjustment is needed.

Powder charges are not exact or precise as rifle loadings.

the MEC 600 jr is the best bet, easily goes from 23/4" to 3" and from 6 to 8 crimp. make sure you get the separate steel shot bar it is different between steel and lead. the 600 jr is probably the easiest to use and almost mistake proof.
leave the progressive presses for the experienced, one mis cue and you have a mess. I have the mec 9000 and know too well what a mess they can make.

Buy 2 Mec 600jr loaders. There are dies to convert from 12 to 20 gauge.https://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-5-die-set

I switched between 20 & 28 for skeet loads. You do NOT want to do this. Change over time is long and hard. Even for an expert. I would load 250 shells at a time, then switch.

I now have 4 Mec 600jr. 12,20,28 & 410.

Use exact published load data.
Do this

A Ponsness 375 it what you need. You can have a 12& 20 on same head and rotate it around to swap. Still a bit of work though. There are dies with a ponsness. Not only for gauge but length as well. They are almost foolproof to run. Very hard to have a missed primer/powder/shot as with many progressive loaders. Since there are dies, the shells are basically full length sized which is a big plus. Much nicer finished product than many other loaders in my experience. I laid a couple thousand rounds a year for trap on one.

the MEC 600 jr is the best bet, easily goes from 23/4" to 3" and from 6 to 8 crimp. make sure you get the separate steel shot bar it is different between steel and lead. the 600 jr is probably the easiest to use and almost mistake proof.
leave the progressive presses for the experienced, one mis cue and you have a mess. I have the mec 9000 and know too well what a mess they can make.
Yep