Shot placement - Elk

royinidaho

Condition: Perfect as in no wind. Accurate range determination.
Range: 400 to 700 yds
Cartridge: 338 RUM, 225 Hornady Interlock @ 3090 FPS MV.
Enviornment: Very steep mountain sides, shooting across canyon etc.

Part one: where would you put the bullet?

Part two: If bullet were Nosler 250gr Partition @ 3050 MV where would you put the bullet?
332ELK.jpg

I'd line up my vertical cross hair with his front leg and hold the horizontal line about 1/3 -1/2 the way up from his belly. The shock from the bullet will likely break the on side shoulder , take out both lungs possibly the heart. At that range the report woulden't spook him that bad so if he does take off with a probable broke leg he won't go far with to shot out lungs.The partition would pass clean through leaving a good exit. The Interlock would likly pass through also unless you did hit the on side shoulder then still I feel that this bullet would at least make it through the lungs.

Why not shoot the Accubond ??

Also don't over look the 338 cal Ballistic tips as the 338's are built a good big stronger than the smaller cals.

Re: Shot placement - Elk - More Specific

Let's get a bit more specific.

Adjust my choices if you would pick different impact points.

Remember, all shots are prone or sitting from bipod.

If I must shoot off hand then I shoot at the front half of the animal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

332ELK_1.jpg

JD, you were a bit ahead of me, sorry. I appreciate your specifics.

right in the middle of the #3 and the end of the shadow of the main beam. good spine shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. no scapula to penetrate first.

Roy:

At the ranges you list I'd go for the shots on the pic below. Don't know if you have this pic but it also shows the organs and muscle locations. A heart shot is not one I'd look for at 700 yards but I know the high shoulder and the #2 placement have worked on a dozen or more so I'll probably keep on plunking them where it seems to give me the best results. Elk are a big tough animal, but they have a very adverse reaction to a properly constructed bullet placed in the right spot. They have a tendency to die, especially if they are in a totally relaxed state when you make the shot.

elk-anatomywithtext.jpg

If you are gonna have to pack him up out of the canyon if he doesn't drop at the shot then I'd say to break him down. I've spent all day packing big bulls out of deep canyons and I don't want to have to do that again.

SS7MM,

I agree with your #1 shot location almost exclusively. It is my shot of choice. Being in line with the spine as far as elevation it also allows for a fair amount of windage that seems to be the plague of the long range hunter. Given that I prefer this shot placement I pick bullet and cartridge combos that work accurately and penetrate deeply, a bullet that expands is a safety measure for times when the shot slips into the lung area.

All ya'll have taken more elk than I have, even if you've taken only one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Every white tail and muley I've ever shot has been behind the point of the shoulder with a 270 Win 130/140gr bullet. On a moose I put a 130 Sierra through both shoulder blades but below the spine. By that time the animal was dead but hadn't caught on yet.....

I've been studying the high shoulder shot but didn't know the exact placement.

Your descriptions and pics have helped alot.

I sense that the 225 Hor Interlock isn't much of a bullet for the HS shot. I have some Nos 250 partitions that should be fine and will have completed testing on 250 SMKs and and 250 Hornady SPBTs by the time the elk hunt comes around.

I use the 225s on a Muley.....

The best of the west tv show is always dropping the animals in one shot, high on the shoulder. They say that you don't want to aim at the spine but below it at the shoulder and shove the shoulder and bone up into the spine. They shoot real long distances and they use Berger VLD in a 7mm STW if I remember right. I shoot an A-bolt 338 Win Mag with a 26" barrel, I have loaded up barnes XLC 210gr bullets at 2890 with rl22 and am waiting another month to see how they work. My hope with these bullets is that they will retain their weight like a solid "African Style" bullet and still open up a bit for the would channel. We will see.

Joe Oakes

No offense, but the BOTW tv show is exactly that, a tv show. Anyway, with a 338 RUM and 250g Partitions, any of those shots would work great on an elk. But, with a set up like that, my favorite would have to be #2.

If I wanted to anchor him for pack out reasons,#1. Taken dozen + w/ shots #2 & 3 archery. My 6x6 this yr. archery #2 location, traveled 35 yrds.

I will be happy seeing an Elk during season, i have been twice and have not seen one yet. I see them every time i go hunting for mule deer though lol just my luck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts