shot 300 gr Bergers in 338 edge

LB,
'Friend' can be defined in many different ways by different people... Buy another Chrono and your 'friend' will probably return your calls once again...:)

I haven't read or heard anything further (recent) from Berger on the suspected 'nose slump' problem with their first run of 300gr .338s. I visited the Berger Bulletin web site just a couple days ago, but saw no new information. The last Bulletin I found was the original one providing notification of the suspected nose slump problem, dated June 2010. Keep thinking we should be getting additional information or an update from Berger any day now.

Berger said the nose slump was at 3,000 fps and faster, but I will tell you that others are telling me that this baby shoots real good only to 2,860 FPS...I looked at the bullet holes from 91 to 93 grs I shot and you can definately see the holes become more ragged as the speed is increased. 91 grs seams to be where this bullet is stable in my gun. Right around 2800 fps in my gun....

zman

Thank you for the info on the Brake.

Not sure what the case capacity differences are between the Edge and GG's Thunder, but as I recall GG's load was 90 grains of H1000, 300 SMK, 2800- 2850 fps with a 25 1/2 inch barrel.

edge.

PS I do miss GG and his posts :(

Berger said the nose slump was at 3,000 fps and faster, but I will tell you that others are telling me that this baby shoots real good only to 2,860 FPS...I looked at the bullet holes from 91 to 93 grs I shot and you can definately see the holes become more ragged as the speed is increased. 91 grs seams to be where this bullet is stable in my gun. Right around 2800 fps in my gun....

zman

i don't think bryan had given an absolute velocity, where it is scientific fact...i know i had issues with my 338 lap imp above 2950. of course i ran it on up to 3050, just to waste some bullets. i suspect i could make them work at a reduced load, but can't get past the mental block i have about running near the top end.

i know the edge guys had them working great, and jeff "broz" has posted some killer targets he shot them in std lapua.
tom

What happened to him?

He more or less out-grew this Forum, in his own way. I'm sure GG still hunts and shoots as much as ever. GG always told it like it was, from his perspective. That continued more and more so until some hard feelings slowly developed over a long period of time. This Forum grew and matured, as did GG. GG untimately came to the opinion that the growth wasn't a good match for him, cut his involvement here on LRH and moved on with the most current activities in his life. I miss his Posts too. He donated a lot of his time to authoring some very good, helpful Threads here. His legacy still lives on with many of the old-timer LRH Forum members, as he was, and I'm still sure is, a larger than life die-hard LRH. I'm sure Len misses the interesting Threads GG posted here as much as many of the rest of us do. Time changes everything and everyone. I wish GG the best.

Last edited:
I emailed GG yesterday asking questions about "Thunder" It seems an optimum cartridge for the Berger Hybrid. He offered his reamer a couple of years ago. If my RUM becomes unsexy I may take him up on it......

Oh, no reply to the email yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.