Short barreled 7mm ??? Help me pick - people with experience please

sort of kind of, some times yes and some times no the right components will only get one so far from there on out is where it gets interesting

I get more than that with a 7 max, a nosler will beat that, I would guess by 100-150 fps on an apples to apples comparison.
The Mega runs easily at 3180 with the 175 EH (26") barrel, and has 8 firings on the brass and still going. Iv run it past 3200' without brass issues.
Lets say you lose 30'/inch, which is my best guess based on the ss and Max which are less.
That would put you at 3000. Thats with N570 so MAYBE knock off some more. Bottom line is the MEGA should run around 3000' with a 180 class. A Nosler should beat it, but not by a lot! The MEGA case is 2.16" and has 84 grain h20 capacity so it will have less recoil and much better barrel life, which you've said isn't a big factor. It has a .334" long neck, which is a plus, and of course the 40 degree shoulder. It will run on a mid length 3.2' action, or a LA if you want.
Lots of good options!
Good luck with your build:)

The Mega runs easily at 3180 with the 175 EH (26") barrel, and has 8 firings on the brass and still going. Iv run it past 3200' without brass issues.
Lets say you lose 30'/inch, which is my best guess based on the ss and Max which are less.
That would put you at 3000. Thats with N570 so MAYBE knock off some more. Bottom line is the MEGA should run around 3000' with a 180 class. A Nosler should beat it, but not by a lot! The MEGA case is 2.16" and has 84 grain h20 capacity so it will have less recoil and much better barrel life, which you've said isn't a big factor. It has a .334" long neck, which is a plus, and of course the 40 degree shoulder. It will run on a mid length 3.2' action, or a LA if you want.
Lots of good options!
Good luck with your build:)
so it does it easily with h1000 and on a tikka and proof barrel ??

I read that now 4 times! I asked a simple question that your not going answer?? or??

It is an honest question based on the way the most guys are leaning ..prefit proofs on tikka's or bighorns and they have a mountain of h1k that's all..
I am using a Christensen arms 700 clone action, and a proof medium palma contour steel barrel blank that Straitjacket armory out of Evanston WY, 30 miles from me, will assemble. Should have specified it is a steel barrel, not carbon, my bad. I have Retumbo, N570, N565, and some Reloder 33 that would be appropriate for these chamberings.

Your question is valid, and I appreciate it, but somewhat unrelated to the current topic as I am using different components. I'm sure a p.m. could clear it up. Thanks guys!

Well, my Father in law is only about 5'5", and the rifle fits him great, and asked me to build him one just like it but with a different stock. He wanted to go 7mm, so here we are.
Just a thought. You FIL like the setup, just wanted a change in stock. So do you think he'd like a different cartridge? Or would you have a better chance with the same cartridge/ action and a different stock? Just my two cents from the peanut gallery.

Just a thought. You FIL like the setup, just wanted a change in stock. So do you think he'd like a different cartridge? Or would you have a better chance with the same cartridge/ action and a different stock? Just my two cents from the peanut gallery.
He doesn't really care about the chambering much, just wants it to work on deer and elk. He is relying on me to put together a gun that is slick to shoot, I know any of these chamberings would be plenty manageable with a quality brake on a 9.5 lb rifle, which is about what this will end up at, and would still be manageable with a supressor as well, part of why I went with a 7mm vs a 30 cal. At first he said same caliber as my wife's so they can use the same ammo, but I informed him that just because they are the same chambering doesn't mean that ammunition will be interchangeable, and possibly even unsafe to use one guns ammo in another, so after that he said he doesn't care, just whatever I think is best.

Actually, that is another consideration I didn't really think of.....it may be better to do his in something other than a 7 max, simply so they don't accidentally mix up ammunition. It might not make a difference and be perfectly fine to do so, but it also may not, and you simply don't know until you have loaded for the gun.

Yeah if your load is close to max then it probably would be good to use a different cartridge.

Tagging in. Currently planning same type of build just haven't decided on the 7 or 30 cal