shooting rest

Robinhood493

What is a good shooting rest to use on a bench? I like the ones with the 3 legs and will use a bag on the rear. I am not looking for a lead sled type of rest.

What is a good shooting rest to use on a bench? I like the ones with the 3 legs and will use a bag on the rear. I am not looking for a lead sled type of rest.

All my rests are home built, and very tight (almost too tight). Still you can buy a good one from Sinclair or Hart. The top plate is another issue that is very critical. I use tops similar to the Sinclairs, and use their bags as well as Protector.

One thing to look for when buying a rest is the overall hight. The first one I built was way too tall (I'm not seven foot tall), and just a crude in design. The second one was much lower, but still kind of uncomfortable. I dropped the third one another inch or so, and it made a big difference. Then I built my last one, and it's about two and a half inches lower than the second one. The threaded post I used on the last three was 20mm with a 10tpi thread (wierd I know) that was all ground finished. But I seemingly had an endless supply of these thread blanks to work with. I built windage tops that even went so far as to have micrometers built into them; what a waste of my time and money!!! Now I use one that is very similar to the Sinclair standard rest to with the black flat bag most of the time. I do have one that is just flat ontop with a protector bag for use with hunting rifles that are very round on the forend.
gary

I did this study last winter, you have probably found my ghost posts if you are doing your homework.

Sinclair. I am sure Hart is great as well but I went with the Sinclair. A good tall bunny ear rear bag and heavy sand. The bags were all much easier to fill than I feared (buy the funnel), actually it was kind of fun but you need a second pair of hands.

The Caldwell Rock BR seems like a pretty nice rest. Is that one good? I am not looking for a $500 rest. Also what size bag would I need for the rear? The mid sized one I'm thinking.

The Caldwell Rock BR seems like a pretty nice rest. Is that one good? I am not looking for a $500 rest. Also what size bag would I need for the rear? The mid sized one I'm thinking.

Its exactly what I have and was going to suggest....but the last time I did the "big boys" chided me and told me to take my stuff back home. Seems they were affronted by someone not using some $1000 rest.

The Caldwell does have a guarantee with it but if down the road it breaks..?...ya just pitch. I can toss a bunch of those Caldwells in the trash heap for the cost of some $$$$ unit.

I have a mid sized and a small bag for the butt stock. Depends on what Im shooting and just where which I use

brother inlaw has two of them, and they work OK for him. The rest top leaves a lot to be desired, but could live with it till I had the money to buy a nice windage top. The top plate is more critical than the rest itself if it's solid.
gary

over on Benchrest Centeral there are two Hart front rests for sale. Both are in the $250 area, but one comes with a really nice windage top. Those things usually run well over a $100 without bags, and this one has two bags to boot!

gary

"Buy once, cry once" - I think my Sinclair without windage was about 250.00. Some of the best shooting money I have ever spent. I almost drove out to Hart to look at their rests which it is of my understanding are excellent. These are solid/substantial rests, not at all what you might think they are unless you have actually seen/touched/shot over one.

And if you want a cheap rest (and many of us have used them) roll up an old stiff blanket or a bunch of big old towels and tie them together with some cord. This is a great start but only good to a point. Fact is I am going to put one of these together again for woodchucks next season.

A big shaped sand bag like you find from any good shooting store has been my ticket for a couple of years. Before that I used canvas shot bags filled with sand to 3/4 full and tied them off. I made a lower platform with 8 or 10 layers of 1x12" lumber to keep it down to a few front bags. There's wobble in most metal rests, even if well made.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.