Shooting Rest Needed- Which One ??

I have a Sinclair B/R rest with the all purpose windage top. It works just fine, the only complaint I have is having to remove the front sling stud. All of my rifles are hunting rifles not benchrest rifles. You could save some money & go wtih a Caldwell Rock BR & probably get just as good results.
I have also used an Uncle Buds Bulls bag, bench model with very good results. Set it on a 3" to 4" thick spacer to facilitate the use of a good rear bag. I have not seen these advertised in a while, I don't know if they are still made.

GG,

Just looking for something to steady me up for bench work with a new 338 rifle. I have only ever used sand bags and more recently a Caldwell lead sled. I quess a reasonably priced rest with recoil reduction being second priority.

If I remember correctly I think I saw a pic of your thunder sitting in craddle like rest with forward and rear rests ? Just want something that is reasonably priced, it won't be used for BR comps but just to practice at long range for hunting applications

Thanks again

DUH

GG,

Just looking for something to steady me up for bench work with a new 338 rifle. I have only ever used sand bags and more recently a Caldwell lead sled. I quess a reasonably priced rest with recoil reduction being second priority.

If I remember correctly I think I saw a pic of your thunder sitting in craddle like rest with forward and rear rests ? Just want something that is reasonably priced, it won't be used for BR comps but just to practice at long range for hunting applications

Thanks again

DUH

The rest I always use for big guns is the Benchmaster. I throw sandbags over the arms for more weight to reduce recoil even more.

The lead sled is ok but there are no adjustable legs on it to compensate for uneven shooting benches. The gun will recoil differently if canted in the case of a lightweight big boomer.

GG,

Thanks for that . I checked that rest out and it looks like a good simple rig. Could you suggest the best place to buy one and have shipped to LA. I saw it on cabelas website.

Thanks

DUH

Compared to a one piece front & rear mechanical rest, I have more consistent results with front and rear bags. A rabbit ear rear with a bulls bag is fairly economical and very steady. I use Protektor model and Uncle Bud's brands, but they are others.

They don't sell bench rests and rear bags down under?

Urban,

Just not enough choice here. I started using a mechanical rest and found my groups improved dramatically. I also had to do very little adjustment to the rifle between shots to keep it on the target. After shooting with a sled I don't think I would use the bags again if I had a choice.

Cheers

DUH

GG,

Thanks for that . I checked that rest out and it looks like a good simple rig. Could you suggest the best place to buy one and have shipped to LA. I saw it on cabelas website.

Thanks

DUH

Cabela's is probably as good as any. However, I would try and contact the manufacturer directly. Maybe that would be cheaper. I know the guy who runs the business and he is a heck of a great guy. I call him about once a year and tell him I need new rubber feet for my rest and he sends them free of charge and no questions asked.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.