Shooting Rest Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by bblaine2k, Sep 10, 2003.

1. bblaine2k

bblaine2k Well-Known Member

Hello gang,

Been a while since I've posted something of my own so I thought I may open this up for comment.

I'm looking to get a new shooting rest. I've seen several that I like in Sinclair but really don't know what to get. Don't wanna spend a fortune. Just want something to shoot my 7 Ultra up to 800 yards with from my bench. Any suggestions? I really don't have a clue.

2. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

3. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

I use the Caldwell front rest. Very nice and stable with some "benchrest type" features. Way cheaper then the BR stuff. You can view these at MidwayUSA, Graf&Sons and most other mail order outlets.

The bags are a very nice tough leather too. Good product for a fair price...

Jerry

4. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

I use the Caldwell front rest. Very nice and stable with some "benchrest type" features. Way cheaper then the BR stuff. You can view these at MidwayUSA, Graf&Sons and most other mail order outlets.
    The bags are a very nice tough leather too. Good product for a fair price...

Jerry

I feel do it right the first time.You get what you pay for.So why not get the best.What is a few extra dollars for something you will have the rest of your life???

5. Troy

Troy Well-Known Member

Mountaineer. I have a Sinclair all purpose rest for sale. It will accommodate rifles with forends up to 3.5". I rarely used the rest and it is in excellent as new condition. If you are interested you can email me at reneetroy@sk.sympatico.ca

6. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

Boyd, I did look at the "higher" end rests and found that they didn't give me any additional benefits then the Caldwell (I am talking the cast one not the plastic POS). Size and weight are about the same. Adjustments and adjustability are about the same. Stability and rigidity are about the same. The only benefit is a windage top which I don't use anyways.

Right now the caldwell is holding up well with my 40lb RUM. Pretty much says it all.

Jerry

7. GRainwater

GRainwater Member

After I compared groups from a front rest versus a bipod, I now shoot all my groups from a bipod. With my test rifle the 5 shot groups averaged 0.5" and the bipod was 0.6", not enough difference to make it worth it plus I get in more practice from what I plan to use while hunting.

8. bblaine2k

bblaine2k Well-Known Member

Giles - Thanks for sharing your results, I use bipods too but didn't try comparing accuracy between rests and bipods

Troy - You've got mail!

Everyone else. Depending on your recommendations and Troy's offer, I'll probably end up getting either the new Caldwell or something used. Like I said, don't wanna break the bank, gotta save $$$ for reloading components
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

i hope you are talking about the "rock" shooting rest and not that $25 plastic toy. that rock is pretty nice, good price too.

10. Nate Haler

Nate Haler Well-Known Member

TM, Joe Cowan runs a class at the Altoona Technical College (or something like that) whose main fundraiser is a front benchrest w/windage top that they make.

It's relatively light (about 8 lbs) but very well made and a bargain considering the machine work involved. Bag not included.

When I bought one from him last year, it was $180 shipped. If you want his contact info, just email me, or I could also send you a digital pic of mine.

Some guys like heavier rests, and if that's you, then take a look at the basic Wichita cast iron model. Sells for about $139 via Brownell's (or about $119 if you can buy at their 'dealer' cost), plus $7.25 shipping. Weighs 11 lbs, and does not have a windage top. See it here: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16137

11. sshaun_2

sshaun_2 New Member

Caldwell the "rock" shooting rest $79 @ Sportman Super Store Salem Oregon. Front leather bag $19

12. MontanaMarine

MontanaMarine Well-Known Member

Another endorsement of the Bald Eagle rest. I picked up the standard model a year or so ago. Not exactly inexpensive, but real quality, and no regrets whatsoever.

MM